INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver using SoundEasy  (Read 3537 times)

Paul W

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver using SoundEasy
« on: April 22, 2013, 06:49:29 pm »

Anyone successfully using SoundEasy for measurements through the JRiver DSP engine?  I've gotten extremely sporadic results with WASAPI loopback, but nothing at all with ASIO live.  Nothing useful yet but I'm probably doing/not doing something dumb... :-[

natehansen66

• World Citizen
Re: Re: JRiver using SoundEasy
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 09:18:47 pm »

What are you using for a soundcard? If it's an ASIO device you can use the loopback with MC configured for ASIO, just set the buffer in MC to .05 sec to start with. Make sure your default device is set to the same sample rate that you're working with in SE as well.

Are you saying that ASIO line-in isn't working at all? If so, that's because you need an audio interface capable of internally rerouting the I/Os. Most "regular" interfaces don't have this ability AFAIK.

Paul W

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: JRiver using SoundEasy
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 05:37:38 pm »

Sound cards are a Realtek on the mobo and external Antelope Orion.  As an output device the Orion seems okay...the Realtek "feels" more problematic.  The only thing working 100% is Loopback with YouTube videos.  With SE, Loopback works maybe 10% the time, even with identical settings.  SE errors are "Unknown External Error" (often) and "System does not have a driver" (occasionally).  I suspect some sort of timing issue, but don't know what to try.

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:50:55 pm »

That's right you were looking at those Orions. Caught my eye in the Sweetwater catalog. How's it working out?

I'm not sure what to tell you about SE not working with loopback. I can't think of ever seeing anybody here that uses SE. Are there multiple options for output mode (ASIO, Direct Sound, etc) or does it just grab the native mode for the device selected? Have you tried any other measurement software?

Paul W

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 06:32:32 pm »

Still in a trial period with the Orion...want to make sure everything will work before it goes in the system.  I ran FR and HD sweeps on it & even a full AD/DA conversion measures cleaner than my Parasound amps.  It does have some software idiosyncrasies but those should get straightened out.

SE apparently has no selection for output mode.  Good suggestion to try another SW package.  SE has a very comprehensive measurement suite I'd sorely miss, but I'll try another!

Paul W

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 03:06:12 pm »

Well, I confirmed the current version of SE does not support ASIO devices...ouch!!!  I really didn't want to learn another measurement application but it looks like REW works fine with ASIO line-in.  The upside is that REW has new & improved features since I last looked. 

For now, I'll continue to use SE & LspCAD for passive crossovers and switch to REW for ASIO active.  Another tool for the bench!

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 07:17:38 pm »

It's surprising that SE doesn't support ASIO. On the flip side if you're using a Realtek onboard soundcard for loopback that doesn't support ASIO so that wouldn't work anyways.

How are you using REW with ASIO with your Realtek card, or does the ORION have internal routing allowing you to use ASIO line-in in MC?

I use REW with their Java sound setting with MC for loopback and it works quite well. REW has become quite sophisticated for a free software. What does SE offer at this point that REW doesn't?

Paul W

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 10:20:31 am »

Bohdan (creator of SE) doesn't think ASIO support is necessary even though several people have asked for it.  I tried ASIO4ALL with the Realtek but couldn't get it to work (maybe cockpit error).

I'm using Orion ASIO line-in.  Agree REW has become quite capable; and I think I'll like it once I become familiar with it...old dog new tricks issue. 

Here's the table of contents for SE...differences include crossover design, detailed driver measurements, boxes, etc.

BoxCad V4.0 Manual:

Chapter 1 - Introduction - Overview of the program and general specs
Chapter 2 - Operation - Entering data, using CAD and general operation
Chapter 3 - Background - Acoustical tools needed for this program
Chapter 4.1 - Theory - Enclosures - 10 enclosures detailed acoustical impedance schematics
Chapter 4.2 - Theory - Enclosures
Chapter 4.3 - Theory - Enclosures
Chapter 4.4 - Theory - Enclosures
Chapter 5 - Powered Subwoofer - Design example of powered subwoofers
Chapter 6 - Examples - Just a couple of examples

SoundEasy V18.0 Reference Manual:

Chapter_1 -  Introduction - Overview of the program and software functions performed. (NEW)
Chapter_2 - Editor Screen - Entering driver's data, complex transfer function, impedance models used, suspension systems, enclosure dimensions.
Chapter_3 - Importing Data Files - IMP, CLIO, LMS, DAAS32, MLSSA, includes exporting data as well.
Chapter4.1, Chapter_4.2 - Enclosure Design Screen - 13 types of enclosures, small and large signal analysis, lots of plots.
Chapter_5 - Enclosure Optimization - Sealed, vented and band-pass enclosure optimizations.
Chapter_6 - Enclosure Response To Rectangular Function - 13 enclosures in time domain, includes impulse, square wave.
Chapter_7 - Car Acoustics - Finite Element Method (FEM) used to solve low-frequency car interior problems
Chapter_8 - Using CAD System - Introduction to our powerful, full-screen electronic CAD system. (NEW)
Chapter_9 - Filter And Crossover Design - Passive / active / digital FIR networks, built-in filters, Linear Phase Filters, MC, crossovers and networks.
Chapter_10 - Filter And Crossover Optimization - Advanced optimization of filters or complete crossover. Includes Conjugate impedance Opt.
Chapter_11 - Crossover In Time Domain - Time domain response of the crossover/filter
Chapter_12 - System Response Module - 3D placement of drivers on front baffle, off-axis simulation and tilting drivers, vertical and horizontal plots. (New)
Chapter_13 - System Optimization - Complete system optimization, including off-axis and tilting drivers.
Chapter_14 - Room Acoustics - Image Method employed in low-frequency range to solve speaker placement. Also some theory.
Chapter_15 - Finite Element Method - FEM theory and several of applications of this method to predict speaker placement in non-rectangular rooms.
Chapter_16.1 ,  Chapter_16.2 - EasyLab Advanced [Linear] - Operation of all analogue and digital measurement screens Good examples of HB Transform usage .( NEW)
Chapter_17 - EasyLab Advanced [Non-Linear] - Two methods for extracting non-linear parameters and one non-linear modeller.
Chapter_18 - Recommended Design Sequence - Good overview of processes and program's applicability. Also, some computer issues discussed.(NEW)
Chapter_19 - DSP section. Includes Ultimate Equalizer. (New)
Pages: [1]   Go Up