INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cowon X9 - on to Playlists  (Read 8098 times)

brioswald

• Recent member
Cowon X9 - on to Playlists
« on: December 22, 2012, 11:07:02 am »

I got the FLAC files figured out, so my next hurdle is playlists.  I see that the Cowon playlist compatibility problem has been discussed, so I'm just checking to see if there has been any new breakthroughs. I tell ya, dropping Apple/iTunes drives my self-esteem down like a crack addict in rehab! I use playlists to organize my music, and I really, really, really, really, really (are you getting the point here) don't want to use Windows Media Player to sync my Cowon.  The device plays beautifully, but this playlist thing is friggin' ridiculous.

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
Re: Cowon X9 - on to Playlists
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 05:14:34 am »

brioswald,

I also have a Cowon. They want to see an 'official way' of formatting a playlist file. Search on the forum. I have posted someting about this. I don't have a good solution yet. Not using my Cowon at the moment, instead iPod  >:(

Maybe there is a better solution now, and Cowon support sucks ..

brioswald

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 11:06:15 am »

Nope, no better ways that I've found so far.  I use a lot of playlists,so this is quite discouraging, trying to get off the apple teat. I had about 40 different playlists on my iPod Touch, and then spent $200 bucks on this X9 to discover that my only option is WMP? BoolSheet! Anyway, what I have been doing thus far is to put the X9 in MSC mode, sync with my JRiver database.  Then I reboot the X9 in MTP mode, and I can open a music folder on the device, select a track, right click and select "Create Playlist..." From there, I can drag and drop files and arrange.  This is a pain the in rear end, but it works.  The biggest problem is that if/when I need to sync new music with JRiver, all the previously created playlists get erased.  I've tried copying them to an alternate location, but putting the device in "MSC" mode nulls all previous playslists no matter where they reside. 

A real head-scratcher for such a highly touted device to not support .m3u. 

I continue to explore options.

brioswald

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 12:37:54 pm »

So, I think I got this.  Not perfect, but it works pretty well:

1. Place the Cowon X9 device in "MSC" mode (as opposed to "MTP" mode, which allows for the manual creation of .pla lists).
2. Plug in the device and open JRiver
3. On the lefthand navigation pane, right-click on "Playlists" and select "Add New Playlist"
4. Name the list whatever you would like
5. make sure the new playlist appears in the bottom action window of the navigation pane
6. Now, still in the left hand navigation pane, click on "Drives & Devices" and find your Cowon device.  In my case "H:"
7. In the main window, select the items you want in your playlist and drag and drop them to the action window
8. In the left hand navigation pane, select "Playlists" again
9. Right-Click on the desired playlist and select "Export..."
10. Make sure to select "M3U playlist (Extended)" and save the playlist to some location (Desktop, My Documents, whatever)
11 In Windows Explorer, drag and drop the .M3U file to the ROOT of your Cowon Device. 

When you dismount the device and power it on, the playlist should appear in the playlists folder. Like I said, not perfect, but better than browsing folder by folder on the device in MTP mode, only to lose every playlist evertime you want to add new media.

One main Caveat:  I have a micro SD card and I have not yet found a way to create cross-drive playlists.  Still working on that. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up