INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compressing music for condo listening  (Read 1240 times)

guy007

• Recent member
Compressing music for condo listening
« on: March 28, 2013, 07:12:00 pm »

I've been using the plug-in BlockFish very successfully in MC17 to moderate loud passages (and amplify very soft passages so I can hear them), all designed to play music in a condo without arousing the wrath of my neighbors. (Almost entirely classical music which has a huge dynamic range.) However, I can find no way to install Blockfish in MC18. I read somewhere on this forum that there is an option in Options\Tools\Video to moderate loud decibels, but the video section of MC has disappeared. There is no Tools\Video and Video does not appear on the left window, only Audio. I only use MC for audio.
   I've tried other compressors with mediocre results, but BlockFish does it's compression magic very unobtrusively.  So, is there any way to use Blockfish in MC 18 or (I'm doubtful about this option), to use another compressor that does the job as well? I've tried the Compressor option in (not sure now, DSP?), but it doesn't seem to be functioning.  Thanks as always. Guy Foster

guy007

• Recent member
Re: Compressing music for condo listening
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 02:03:10 pm »

Wow, no replies. Unusual for this knowledgeable crowd. However, my 87 year old ears (and my condo neighbors) won't take the huge dynamics of classical music, so let me state my problem a different way and perhaps I can connect with your knowledge base.

I am using the DSP plug-in in MC18, which has a "Compressor" option. However when I click on that option (music playing), I get the error message "Output format not supported."  At the bottom of the screen, my output format is listed as "44.1Hz16bit2ch". The little dropdown window just above says I'm using a 24 bit format, and that's the only one that will play. If I change the window setting to 16 bit (or raise it above 24 bit), I get an error message and an offer to change to a 24 bit.

I'm not really sure what all of this means; but many of you will know. My question then is: how an I get the Compressor function on the DSP plug-in to function.

Question two: am I correct that there would be no point in my purchasing a compressor software plugin, since Version 18 will not allow any unlisted plug-ins to be installed?

As it stands now, Version 17 comes much closer to my need to play listenable music than does Version 18. Hope some of you can help me change that.  Guy

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 02:06:02 pm »

If you have a look at JRiver's built in adaptive volume option, it seems to offer exactly the kind of compression you're looking for on the medium or high settings. 

EDIT: Although that might only apply to video?

bebe

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 02:23:20 pm »

I'm a little confused by the question. Under Player menu if you select DSP Studio there is a Volume Leveling option you can tick. Also in DSP Studio you can add a JRiver, VST or Winamp plugin by selecting the Manage Plugins button and then pointing it to the compression program file you like, located on your hard drive. Is this what you're after?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 04:09:26 pm »

If you have a look at JRiver's built in adaptive volume option, it seems to offer exactly the kind of compression you're looking for on the medium or high settings. 

EDIT: Although that might only apply to video?

I think (but I'm not sure) that it does only apply to video.  I was going to suggest the same thing.

Adaptive Volume does exactly what he wants.  It creates a "midnight mode".  But, it may be video-only.  Matt will have to confirm (or someone would need to test it).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

guy007

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 12:01:39 pm »

BeBe
   Thanks so very much. Your direction was exactly what I needed. I've moved Blockfish to the MC18 default plug in directory, was able to fine it with the manager, and Blockfish is now working beautifully on version 18. Ain't music grant? Thanks again. Guy

bebe

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 01:59:35 pm »

Glad it worked out. JRiver audio rulez
Pages: [1]   Go Up