INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: License problem  (Read 1784 times)

dgw

• Recent member
License problem
« on: April 09, 2013, 05:08:17 am »

Having used most of the available media players for a Mac with the new Mytek 192 Stereo DSD Dac and having settled on the two usual suspects that Mac users most often employ, both with their issues, I was in contact with Cookie Marenco of Blue Coast Records about the problems with Media Players for the Mac and she suggested trying JRiver who were started their Mac project and that she used it at their studio. Figuring that if she used it, it must be good, I duly purchased MC18 for Mac on 14 Feb. ( I am only interested in a media player for Stereo Audio on my fairly good HiFi rig. ) Then, I downloaded MC18 Mac first on 25 March - 180156. Following unresolved issues with OSX 10.6, as per previous posts here and after reply from Matt, upgraded to 10.8.3 and MC18 Mac then worked.

THE REALLY GOOD NEWS:
The sound results are outstanding. So much better than anything else currently available for the Mac. Therefore, now, after learning partly how to use it, a journey of many, many hours, I intend to persevere. It is also so fast compared with the other two. I have built a MC18 Library from the recordings already on my external Hard Drive and have a MC Playlist of DSD tracks that seem not willing to join the Library but do come across in a separate Playlist.  That’s the good news - the best sounding Media Player for Macs by a long chalk. Thank you !  Marvellous !  Amazing !

THE REALLY BAD NEWS :
Since upgrading from 10.6 to 0.8, each time I log into MC18, up comes the box “ THIS VERSION OF MC WILL TIME OUT ON 04/16/13. “

I have tried everything I can understand to do, to overcome this, without success. Mac Users are generally not used to very complex methods just to install and register an App.

Since original install 180156 on 25 March, I installed 180161 on 2 April, 180162 on 3 April and 180164 on 5 April.

I received five emails from buy-button at jriver about the temporary install key and followed all of them. That has resulted in apparently only SIX RESTORES REMAINING NOW as I went back to the original installation to try and resolve the issue.  I have installed the install keys via my registration code and used the four MC Mac18 Mjr downloads on my Mac.  All to no avail - my MC18 is going to self destruct in a few days and I will loose the days of work and effort and learning invested so far and the Library and Playlist built up so far and the best player I ever found. OMG.  Does it get much worse than this ?

Is there perhaps somebody who can explain what to do to resolve this issue in plain and simple, easy to follow steps, using language which a Mac User who is not used to PC complexities and jargon can understand ?

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Re: THE REALLY GOOD NEWS AND THE REALLY BAD NEWS
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 05:56:51 am »

Have you tried updating to the latest version which is usually at the top of the relevant forum board:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79768.0

I suspect the timeout is nothing to do with your license and more to do with the fact the product is not considered a final release yet, and they don't want alpha/beta versions hanging about after release as they can cause support issues.
Don't panic.  There's plenty of people around here that can help with most questions you have.

Upgrading should not cause you to lose any work, however using an early build of the product like this it is always a good idea to keep backups.  I'm a windows user so haven't tried the Mac version.

wig

• MC Beta Team
Re: THE REALLY GOOD NEWS AND THE REALLY BAD NEWS
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 06:01:21 am »

Dgw, everything will be Ok . JRiver for Mac is in early Beta, so you don't have to license it right now.
The JRiver folks will release a new beta version before the current one expires. Just install the new version over top of the old one.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: License problem
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 06:35:03 am »

Dgw, everything will be Ok . JRiver for Mac is in early Beta, so you don't have to license it right now.
Recent versions now require a license, but still time out.  We don't want old versions in circulation.  I'm sorry if that is confusing.

The JRiver folks will release a new beta version before the current one expires. Just install the new version over top of the old one.
That's correct.

You might read the FAQ on this board.  It explains more.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 06:38:16 am »

Recent versions now require a license, but still time out. 

I didn't realize you'd turned on the licensing yet. I haven't had much time to fool with the Mac version lately.

Philthy

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 09:26:13 am »

The pop up comes up every time you start MC, licensed or not. I posted in the other thread asking them to remove it because I have my system set to reboot every few nights, and it auto-launches MC. But MC wont work until I remote into the machine and click that stupid pop-up.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 09:45:17 am »

The pop up comes up every time you start MC, licensed or not. I posted in the other thread asking them to remove it because I have my system set to reboot every few nights, and it auto-launches MC. But MC wont work until I remote into the machine and click that stupid pop-up.

It only comes up every day during the last week (or so) before the timeout.

The latest build moved the timeout out 30 days, so you'll only see the message once for the next few weeks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 12:18:07 am »

There is also one that comes up the first time you run a new version, with the updated ending window.

Not a big deal, just this might be the one people are seeing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up