INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I play the 2 channel AC3 audio on a DVD?  (Read 1288 times)

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
How do I play the 2 channel AC3 audio on a DVD?
« on: April 15, 2013, 05:31:35 pm »

I have Pink Floyd Pulse concert on DVD (2 discs)
It has three audio tracks (confirmed using MediaInfo):
AC3 5.1 448 kbps
AC3 5.1 640 kbps
AC3 2.0 stereo

I want to play the stereo audio.  But the Audio Path info shows I'm only able to play the 6 channel even though I selected Stereo in the DVD menu.  How do I get it to play the stereo audio?  I want to listen on headphones using a 2 channel DAC.  I have no surround setup.

Audio Path shows
Source: 48kHz 32bit 6ch from source format ac3
Changes: Convert from 6 channels to 2 channels
Output: 48kHz 24bit 2ch using WASAPI - Event Style

The DVD is ripped to a VIDEO_TS folder.  No conversions or shrinking or recompression of any of the files.  Could I have ripped it incorrectly and that is causing the problem?  I can't recall which program I used to rip it, it was ripped several years ago.

Re: How do I play the 2 channel AC3 audio on a DVD?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 06:13:24 pm »

If you right-click the video while it's playing are you able to select it from the "Streams" menu?

Frobozz

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 06:32:34 pm »

If you right-click the video while it's playing are you able to select it from the "Streams" menu?

Ah!
I don't see a "Streams" menu option when I right-click.
But I do see a "Language" menu that has three options (each of them labeled English).  The third option in the Language menu gets me the 2 channel audio.

I'm such a DVD noob.   I wouldn't have thought to try the "Language" options.  :P

That Audio Path dialog is very handy.  It let me see that I wasn't listening to the 2 ch audio.  And then let me see when I finally got it right.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 07:09:47 pm »

Ah!
But I do see a "Language" menu that has three options (each of them labeled English).  The third option in the Language menu gets me the 2 channel audio.

I'm such a DVD noob.   I wouldn't have thought to try the "Language" options.  :P

That Audio Path dialog is very handy.  It let me see that I wasn't listening to the 2 ch audio.  And then let me see when I finally got it right.
Sorry, I forgot that playing a DVD is different from playing a DVD ripped to MKV. Glad you figured it out though.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 04:49:45 pm »

Ah!

@ Jriverteam : This is exactly why it would be helpful to have either a pop-up or a OSD function to display the audio format (or audio path). Concert DVD only display english1, english2, etc... as it display languages and not the formats.
For bluray this is not needed as the OSD lists under each language also the audio format

Frobozz

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 09:20:28 pm »

It is confusing how you're supposed to use the right-click Language option to change the audio track rather than the options in the on disc DVD menu.  And how the various Language options don't tell you which one is the 5.1 and which one is the stereo.

I've obviously been listening to some 5.1 downmixed to stereo without realizing it on some DVDs.

I have a feeling I've discovered this before and found out I need to use the Language menu.  But then I don't play DVDs very often so eventually I forget and get to rediscover that little trick again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up