INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using JRiver as the major part in a HTPC pre-amp/crossover build  (Read 1938 times)

packux

• Recent member

Dear All,

for the past months I've been pondering on several approaches on how to best approach the setup of an active 3.1 system.

This system will be built around xtz 100.49/100.33/a sub (have not found that one yet out).

The inputs are

1. a PC used for audio/video playback(currently in place, using JRiver)
2. a turntable with an MM cartridge
3. a PS3
4. a set-top-box

The outputs shall be

1. A TV
2. A projector

The basic candidates I've identified so far are

1. A MH ULN-8. I am discouraged from the fact that its a Mac only product though. On the other hand, it does pretty much what I want it to do i.e. digital crossover, PEQs, digital RIAA. On the other hand, convolution will have to be performed externally.

2. A Lynx Aurora 8, in conjunction with JRiver/Accurate.

3. A Lynx AES 16, an e18 DAC in conjunction with JRiver/Accurate.

I must say I prefer setups 2 and 3 - mainly due to the fact that I am a PC guy but also because I believe that performing math calculations in PCs is most probably a better choice.

The main issue I now have is the following: Assuming that I can somehow connect the turntable to the Aurora or AES, is it possible to use JRiver for playback (thus leveraging Accurate configurations for crossover, convolution etc)? If yes, can you please provide me a link in the manual on how this can be performed?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Using JRiver as the major part in a HTPC pre-amp/crossover build
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 10:11:46 am »

#3 won't work because the AES16 is not an analog to digital converter. You will still need an ADC for use with the record player or other analog inputs. I think you are better off going with option #2. If you wanted to go with #3, you could buy a Tascam UL-366 and use it as the ADC since it supports digital out via AES into the AES16. I just got one on Friday and tested this past weekend with my Lynx AES16e.

JRiver has an ASIO line-in feature found under File > Open Live > ASIO Line-in. I think the Aurora 8 supports multiclient with its ASIO driver so you should be able to use it for input and playback. For the turntable, you need a phono preamp which is then connected to an input on the Aurora 8. In JRiver you would select ASIO Line-in, two channels, and the offset. If you are using input 1, then the offset is 0. There isn't a lot of documentation about this feature, but you can search Interact.

packux

• Recent member
Re: Using JRiver as the major part in a HTPC pre-amp/crossover build
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 03:37:25 am »

Hi Mojave.

Thanks for the input - indeed searching a bit around the forum I found a couple of threads that would need further study from my part (such as this one http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68828.450 on how to set-up convolution, crossovers etc).

I would certainly appreciate it if those several threads where somewhat more organised in the forum or a sub-section specific to convolution, crossovers etc existed as it would certainly be of great help.

By my understanding, using the Asio In could work-out for a turntable but given that the intention is to use the HTPC as a complete pre-amp, I also need to pass-through additional inputs (such as spdif from the ps3/set-top box etc.). The problem is, the current implementation of the Asio Line-in is good enough to play with it but will probably be difficult to integrate it in a complete set-up with zones being triggered etc.

I would be extremely happy to see v19 bringing some changes to that part.
Pages: [1]   Go Up