INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC18 crashes repeatedly  (Read 3800 times)

wsdu

MC18 crashes repeatedly
« on: May 05, 2013, 12:58:52 am »

I have used many versions of MC over the years without problems.  Suddenly MC18 (MC180048) crashes repeatedly within 10 sec ofbeing started.   I get an error message saying that MC 'did not shut down correctly' with 3 suggestions to try (Use default window size..., Disable 3rd party plugins, Use default library), but it crashes before I can try them.  I also get a message to uninstall MC, restart the computer, reinstall.  I have tried this, including downloading the latest version of MC18 (MC 180175).  No luck.

I just installed some HP Updates the computer (Win7), and I wondering whether any (or which) of these might be problematic.  I'm not aware that I am using any 3rd party plugins.

Any help would be appreciated.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC18 crashes repeatedly
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 03:58:16 am »

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry you're having trouble.

Do you have backups of your library? Normally MC should make regular backups. It defaults to C:\Users\YourName\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 18\Library Backups.

If you have recent backups there, rename the folder "JRiver" to something else and copy it to a save location. Next I would suggest you deinstall MC and tick the option to remove everything. Reboot. Then manually check and remove the following folders:

C:\Program Files (x86)\J River or C:\Program Files\J River
C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\J River

If you have installed or know your profile is in a different folder, adjust accordingly.

Download the latest version from the top of the board.

Disable your antivirus scanner (unload it preferably)

Install MC and test it.

If it works, you can try and restore your library and settings. If the problem returns then something in your library or settings has gone haywire.

If it doesn't work, we need to start looking into your system, but before we go there lets see how this works out first.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 05:47:52 am »

I've just had similar issues and (in my case) it is related to having a TV recoding happening.  Do you have any TV being recorded at the time of the crash?
JRiver CEO Elect

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 08:08:13 am »

Having the same problem here. I believe a change was made in the last build to prevent a crash in digital tv. Ironically it looks like that has broken the latest build for a few people. I have rolled back to the last build for now.

wsdu

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 02:07:13 pm »

Thanks very much for the quick replies.  I did the uninstall, cleared the JRiver files, and disabled the Norton 360 antivirus and firewall (but did not uninstall those) as suggested.  I installed MC180175 that I just downloaded.  The crashing problem remains the same.

Interestingly (and disturbingly), I tried to install MC on an ASUS laptop (Windows 7, i7) and have the same problem.  The ASUS has very little software, etc on it, but it does have Norton 360.

I don't have any TV hookups or do any TV/Video recording.

Is there a way that I can try an older version of MC18.  I likely have an older MC17 version save somewhere.

Thanks again.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 02:50:56 pm »

If Norton 360 is the common piece of software between the 2 pc's, please try uninstalling it and repeat the process I wrote up above - It would be really good to know and helpful for others as well (Jimh can then add this to his weird and wonderful thread). You can install N360 afterwards.

If you can spare the time and hassle, it would be much appreciated.

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 06:08:57 pm »

I am having this issue also. There's a recording that's supposed to be taking place now and it crashes every time I start MC - I assume this is because it tries to start the recording. It worked today when no recording was taking place.

maid

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 06:12:16 pm »

18.0.177 I am having an issue in theatre view were the program takes over.

Cant stop the player we had to reboot the machine.

I have  rolled back for now.
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 07:05:30 pm »

This is a known problem and will be fixed in the next build.  It happens if you use .ts as the format when recording TV.

jm1

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 07:21:03 pm »

Hello.  I am new this forum.  I am having the same problem.  The JRiver program stays open for a few seconds and then keeps closing.  I tried the above suggestion by uninstalling and reinstalling but still having the same issue.  Any help would be great.  Thanks.  

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 08:16:42 pm »

Please read above.

wsdu

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 12:02:18 am »

I tried uninstalling antivirus as you suggested, and the problem seems to be the Constant Guard software that is provided by Comcast Xfinity (along with Norton 360).  On the ASUS laptop, I uninstalled both the Norton 360 and the Constant Guard, and MC 180175 installed without any problems and seems to be running fine.  I was able to rebuild my library (I didn't bother to save it since all of my music is on one large drive).  On the HP ultrabook, I uninstalled only Constant Guard.  I installed MC 180175 without even disabling Norton 360, and MC installed fine.  I was able to rebuild my library on this computer also.  I'll give it an extended listening test shortly, but the fact that it does play a tune and doesn't crash after 10 seconds is a huge improvement.

Thanks again for the quick and very helpful assistance.  I love this software and I'm happy that it seems to be working again.  I'll follow up after I've given it a more thorough test, but things are looking way better than they were last night.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 12:21:29 am »

Thanks very much for providing detailed feedback.

wsdu

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 01:22:39 am »

Extended listening with MC18 on the computer running Norton 360, but without the Constant Guard is working well.  So, Constant guard from Comcast Xfinity (ISP) would appear to be the problem.

Done. Thanks so much.

Sauzee

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 05:27:32 am »

MC crashed a few times this morning. using latest build on Win 8 64 bit (no crashes on Win 7 64 bit).

Once when running import, once on looking up album art.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 07:26:51 am »

Yes,similarly 18.0.177 crashing repeatedly and missed various TV recordings but now at least makes sense.Thought it was due to MiniLyrics plugin at one stage.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 09:06:26 am »

18.0.178 is out now:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80437.msg547420#msg547420

The crash caused by TV recording should be fixed. 

I'll lock this now.  Please start a new thread if you find a problem in 178 or above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up