INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Open J River MC library from another PC  (Read 1031 times)

cabu8803

• Recent member
Open J River MC library from another PC
« on: April 22, 2013, 07:42:08 pm »

Hi there

I have my HTPC located in the Home Theater room. I use a Logitech Dinovo as wireless keyboard. But it is too small to perform the ripping, tagging and other file task. I have a desktop in another room and I am planning to use the desktop as the editing station. I know that Library Server has some limitation on syncing, so I plan to create the library in my NAS so I will access it from the desktop for editing and file management and from the HTPC for playing.

Can I open the same library from 2 PC (not at the same time of course) without messing the library integrity?

regards

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Open J River MC lib rary from another PC
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 08:23:03 pm »

I know that Library Server has some limitation on syncing

Such as? Library server sounds like it would be the perfect solution for you. All changes can be synced almost instantaneously. The only 'limitations' of library sync involve destructive changes such as playlist deletion, etc. Per your question, AFAIK, the second "client" that uses a shared library (in your hypothetical) only has read access to the library.

cabu8803

• Recent member
Re: Open J River MC library from another PC
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 10:32:57 pm »

Such as? Library server sounds like it would be the perfect solution for you. All changes can be synced almost instantaneously. The only 'limitations' of library sync involve destructive changes such as playlist deletion, etc. Per your question, AFAIK, the second "client" that uses a shared library (in your hypothetical) only has read access to the library.
Those are the lmitations I want to avoid, as I will be creating for the first time my library with J River MC. I wan to create and delet playlist, as well as the resto of file management in the desktop which will be faster than from the HTPC.

I went ahead and dowloaded the trial in both PCs (desktop and HTPC) and create a library in the NAS. I was able to open the library from both machines (one at a time) and made some modifications to tags, cover arts, create and delete playlist, then close and opened the library from the other machines and all changes were reflected.

One advantage of this is that I do not need to have both machines on with J River MC loaded as I will need that if I were using Library server.

So far the test were a success. I will give a try to Library Server tomorrrow before I make the decision to buy a license.

Thanks so far for your answer
Pages: [1]   Go Up