INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: registration  (Read 1539 times)

fred

registration
« on: March 29, 2002, 10:45:20 am »

I am currently running beta version 8.  I would like to use just the basic version, but I am receiving the screen asking me to register for the full version.  I would rather just run without the plus features, but it will not let me.  So, I am willing to register because it is a great program.  However, the program crashes when it attempts to connect to the server to submit my payment information.  I would appreciate any help.

geekboy200

RE:registration
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2002, 11:09:53 am »

The same thing had happened to me. Are you  behind a firewall?  If so, can you shut it down temporarily?  That might be your problem, as that was mine.  I ended up reg'ing the program from work, backing up the license key to a floppy, and restoring it at home.  It seems that they are aware of this issue.

JasonJoel

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2002, 11:17:35 am »

Well, it is good that there is a workaround...

Quite honestly I am waiting to buy the program until they get the kinks out of their registration system. I simply am not going to uninstall my firewall just to buy this program. I don't have to do this for ANY other online purchase, and I don't feel like going through the hassle.

But after they get the bugs out of the buying process, count me in.

Jason Bottjen

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2002, 12:03:00 pm »

Sorry, but I don't think this is our bug.  It is caused by the firewall, and someone isn't handling it well.  Could be MJ, but I don't think so.

As I've said in the past, an OS is not supposed to crash no matter how bad the apps behave.  That is the primary job of the OS.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

JasonJoel

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2002, 12:24:39 pm »

Might be MS's bug - that is really quite irrelevant though.

People don't have to disable or uninstall their firewall to buy/register other software... So they shouldn't for Media Jukebox. Simple as that.

Even if it IS a MS bug (which I seriously question), it is in J River's best interest to make it work painlessly for the consumer. Period.

Just my $0.02.

Jason Bottjen

JimH

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2002, 12:45:42 pm »

It is questionable whether the non-standard ports should be firewalled at all.  

I agree it is a problem.  I don't agree that the problem is entirely ours.  Standards are evolving.

In any case, to fix the problem, we need to have a hole somewhere.  Port 80 for http is the safe choice.
Jim Hillegass

JasonJoel

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2002, 01:03:10 pm »

Well, I just bought the product through the Help -> Buy Media Jukebox inside of v8.0.237.

It worked fine... Even through my firewall and hardware router. This is using WinXP Pro. So go figure.

And I was glad there was an option to backup the reg file to places other than a floppy.... I was worried about that, as I don't have a floppy drive. Might want to mention somewhere that it doesn't have to be backed up ONLY to a floppy; i.e. a Zip drive works fine for backing up the reg file... Or maybe it was just my ignorance in assuming floppy meant floppy. heh

Jason Bottjen

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2002, 05:04:00 am »

>> Even through my firewall and hardware router. This is using WinXP Pro. So go figure
You may have a security breach

has someone been accessing your system from the net?

has the FBI been using Carnivore on you?

Or maybe the IRS?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Durgame

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2002, 09:27:38 am »

> I simply am not going to uninstall my firewall just to buy

Lower your security "shields" in IE a few seconds, then try again.

Let us know if it works.  It may be all you need to do.

Durgame

JasonJoel

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2002, 03:01:00 pm »

King -

No, no security breach... None I know of anyway. I was wrong though, the WinXP firewall was indeed turned off. And the registration process seemed to have no problem with my Linksys router.

So I guess it does work for some people, some of the time. Heh.

Jason Bottjen

JimH

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2002, 03:06:07 pm »

Jason
> heh
I wonder if you are familiar with the term, "smartass"?
Jim Hillegass

Bill Ko

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2002, 04:07:06 pm »

I believe that, unlike version 7 and earlier, there is no basic version for version 8.  It's either buy it, or have it disabled after the trial.  I liked the idea of a basic version (I guess you'd call it "crippleware" technically, but the version was so full of features that calling it crippled is unfair), but unfortunately it's not that way any more.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up