INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi Channel Audio Anomaly using Video Clock  (Read 2074 times)

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
  • True wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
Multi Channel Audio Anomaly using Video Clock
« on: April 25, 2013, 05:11:55 am »

I have recently changed MC audio output from Bitstream to Multi Channel to take advantage of Video Clock smoothing.  Bitstream has always worked 100% reliably but Multi Channel seems to either be incompatible with my Denon http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?CatId=StreamingMedia%28DenonNA%29&pid=AVPA1HDCIA%28DenonNA%29 AVP A1HD pre-amp or there is an issue with MC or perhaps even a setup problem.

The anomaly I experience is that more than 20% of the time I play 6 channel 24 bit DTS audio my Denon preamp shows two channel audio being received :o  If I pause and then continue, the audio state does not change but if I stop the movie and re-start the audio in most instances it plays normally with 6 channel multi.  Although I have not specifically tested, I believe that the same anomaly happens with 6 channel Dolby Digital sources

In the failed state I have looked that the DSP panel and can see 6 channel DTS audio coming in and 6 channel  24 bit DTS going out in spite of my pre-amp showing a two channel audio being received ?

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?
The Future is Remote!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Multi Channel Audio Anomaly using Video Clock
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 12:27:02 pm »

If Audio Path inside MC is showing 6 in and 6 out, it has to be failing at the driver or receiver level.  Either one could be down-converting.

First, let's make sure Audio Path shows 6 in and 6 out when it's not working.  Then we can go from there.

Audio Path info:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Path
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 12:33:31 pm »

If Audio Path inside MC is showing 6 in and 6 out, it has to be failing at the driver or receiver level.  Either one could be down-converting.

First, let's make sure Audio Path shows 6 in and 6 out when it's not working.  Then we can go from there.

Audio Path info:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Path

I confirm that the audio path shows 6 in and 6 out in the failed 'stereo output state'.  
Sorry I was using the wrong terminology for the Tools panel (I called it DSP panel)
The Future is Remote!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 01:08:26 pm »

I confirm that the audio path shows 6 in and 6 out in the failed 'stereo output state'.

That means it either has to be the sound card driver or the Denon downmixing the signal.

What type of connection are you using?  And what is the audio device in the computer?

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:36:12 pm »

That means it either has to be the sound card driver or the Denon downmixing the signal.

What type of connection are you using?  And what is the audio device in the computer?

The Video/Audio connection path is: AMD Radeon HD 6600 display adapter connected via HDMI through a Darbee Vision Enhancer and then to the Denon AVP.

The audio driver is the latest version supplied in the latest CAT 13.4

The HTPC is dedicated and only has WMC and J River present within a Win 7 OS (32 bit)
The Future is Remote!

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 03:06:10 pm »

Matt

I have attached a screen grab of the audio path when stereo is being received by the Denon.
The Future is Remote!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 03:09:49 pm »

Since we're outputting six channels, it means something later in the chain isn't working.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what that might be.  Let us know if you learn anything.

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 03:21:02 pm »

Since we're outputting six channels, it means something later in the chain isn't working.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what that might be.  Let us know if you learn anything.

I will try removing the darblet processor but in theory it simply passes the audio through untouched. 

I'm guessing that if the Radeon 6600 was at fault, others would have reported the issue so it is looking very much like the Denon Ouch!

I will track down the issue and let you know.................
The Future is Remote!

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 06:59:46 am »

hi - can't help with a fix as I don't have this gear.....

Is there any commonality in the 20% you have problems with? (eg they start with 2ch intro & then change to 6ch)?
What's the source? (dvd or blu-ray disk or folder structure, MKV, AVI etc)

When you stop & restart are you restarting at the beginning or resuming at the point it stopped?

good luck,

Steve

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 07:20:53 am »

There are some pointers on the AMD site on how to perform some diagnosis - http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/160087

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 07:58:40 am »

There are some pointers on the AMD site on how to perform some diagnosis - http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/160087

Very interesting, thank you for your post. I will certainly try the restart idea. As for the sequential startup, experienced this a long time ago and set all the kit to power up in a particular sequence, it became especially important after installing the Darbee processor.

To answer your question, all my kit is sourced from a high end HTPC and the only way to fix make the stero change to 5.1 is to exit playing the source and then restart. Resarting without exiting the source has no effect.

I am presently of a mind to set my audio bridge to output the audio from my MC video source and see if it changes anything. It is not capable of 7.1 but most of my content is 5.1, so a temporary period of using a different audio path should not affect things too much.
The Future is Remote!
Pages: [1]   Go Up