INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Center/Dialogue Boost for 2 Channel  (Read 1717 times)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Feature Request: Center/Dialogue Boost for 2 Channel
« on: January 06, 2013, 09:58:52 pm »

I've never set up a 5-channel audio system, but my understanding is that the center channel is used almost exclusively for speech and dialogue on DVD's and BluRays.

I use JRSS 2.0 to watch movies using a 2-channel stereo, but on some movies the vocals and dialogue seem a bit soft compared to music and sound effects...I keep the remote handy to adjust volume at the music peaks.

Would it be possible to add a "Center Channel/Vocal Boost" button in the Mixing section of the Audio DSP & Output Format, or a perhaps slider control for vocals?

Thanks for considering my request!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Feature Request: Center/Dialogue Boost for 2 Channel
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 10:04:21 pm »

You might try the Adaptive Volume feature added to MC18 (in Options > Video).

If you use the 'Medium' setting, it boosts the center a little and also deals with peaks so you won't feel the need to ride the volume.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 11:02:34 pm »

If you use the 'Medium' setting, it boosts the center a little and also deals with peaks so you won't feel the need to ride the volume.

Do the medium and heavy settings dynamically compress?

First I've been aware of this feature. Do you know if there is more description of it anywhere?

It looks like Light is the MC default which apparently has some affect on the audio.

Thanks,
Rod

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:30:42 am »

So Adaptive Volume takes place before JRSS is downmixing to 2.0?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 10:33:52 am »

So Adaptive Volume takes place before JRSS is downmixing to 2.0?

Yes.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Trumpetguy

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 12:46:46 pm »

For what content does adaptive volume activate - all or movie contents only (since it is in the video section)? What I am interested in is whether it is in the audio path when listening to multichannel music (on file, not optical disk).

@drmimosa: What about using Room Correction DSP and boost the center channel by a couple of dB? That is often done when using standard surround receivers.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 07:03:35 am »

I'm 2CH only but lately I have become interested in adding a Center Channel speaker.

However, I read that it is really for spatial cues on dialog.

I think my current speakers are a little "beamy" so off-axis suffers. Something just feels off when watching shows and movies. I'd like to play around with the settings Matt mentioned, but has anyone had the same experience? And benefit from adding a real Center as opposed to using MC or FFDShow?

I should also add I'm not sure I can add a Center Channel correctly since I have a 2CH DAC (Antelope Gold). I tether the subwoofer off the speaker terminals of my amp. If I added a Center Channel and set JRSS to 2.0, I wonder what the result would be. I will verify my settings are correct on Output and see if that helps first.

thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up