Networks and Remotes > Media Network

Oppo105 as a Renderer: no multichannel?

<< < (2/2)

gmeardi:

--- Quote from: JimH on April 28, 2013, 07:31:15 am ---Add or configure DLNA Servers.

--- End quote ---
What do you mean? On my laptop PC, which is hosting MC18, in Media Network settings I've already enabled all of the three options: DLNA Server, DLNA Renderer, DLNA Controller. There's only a flag...
The Oppo appears correctly as a Renderer, both in MC18 on laptop and on the iPad... The problem is that the audio reaches the Oppo in transcoded format (dunno which one, but sure is not multichannel).

csimon:

--- Quote from: gmeardi on April 28, 2013, 06:06:45 am ---(my Control Point is the JRiver iPad app)
--- End quote ---

Do you mean JRemote?

If so, it's not actually a control point.  It's a remote control for MC, therefore when speaking to DLNA devices, it's MC that is the Control Point. I don't think MC as a control point will do the delegating of quality choice to the user and, even if it did, I don't think it would expose that functionality to JRemote.  There would need to be further development of both products - note that JRemote is not a JRiver product, it's a third-party app.

But onto your problem....If DLNA settings are Never Convert then I can't see any reason why the renderer is not receiving the original FLAC file. This is effectively the setting that turns off the format negotiation, basically it actually breaks the DLNA protocol in order to get it to work! As you have worked out, DLNA is a flawed spec and is really awkward.  Therefore I don't understand why it is being downmixed to 2-channel, unless it's a bug somewhere either at the MC end or at the Oppo end.

The setting is in Tools/Media Network/Add or Configure DLNA Servers (NOT Client Options) - and it looks like in the latest upgrades that it has been renamed to "Original" rather than "Never convert".

gmeardi:
Yes, I meant JRemote: now that's more clear to me who's the Control Point in my chain, thanks!

Moreover... WOW... you've solved my problem... It was really my fault: I didn't notice the server settings combo and I kept focusing on client settings.
In fact my server settings where configured on "convert unsupported": I changed to "never convert" (like I did in client settings) and now it all seems to work perfectly! Multichannel HD FLAC, with excellent quality!
THANKS A LOT!  ;D

csimon:
 :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version