INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Loses Track of Files on External Drives  (Read 1106 times)

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
MC Loses Track of Files on External Drives
« on: April 27, 2013, 08:48:14 pm »

I've just migrated everything from a previous computer running Vista to a new one running Windows 7. (I used Zinstall, if that's relevant.) This relettered my external drives. Rather than trying to move and rename within MC, I've dragged and dropped folders from Windows Explorer. On the first pass, this worked well. The files are clearly showing up in the proper location, and I've spot-played them. However, in returning to files on several drives in particular, they are no longer live - the yellow icon appears, and of course they don't play. I've repeatedly reinstalled by dragging from Explorer, the files appear to be live, I migrate away and when I return, they're defunct. This involves a large number of files, not a handful.

I've checked the drives in question, they seem to be in good order.I don't know of any problems with the files themselves. I did not run into this previously in Vista. Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, what are the solutions? I've searched around in Support and didn't find anything else that seemed relevant.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC Loses Track of Files on External Drives
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 07:26:59 am »

The wiki has a topic called "Moving Files".

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 02:00:41 pm »

Can you describe the path setup on the drive(s) more?  What is the drive letter?  Does the drive letter change sometimes, or do multiple different external drives sometimes get the same drive letter?

And, also, what exactly is happening when MC loses the files?  Are they becoming broken links (with the red X where they can't be found), are they being completely removed from your library, or something else?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 08:28:50 pm »

Glynor - J (for instance) is an external drive. Drive letters don't change .No instances of different drives receiving the same lettering.There are a series of subfolders arrayed under J, one each for each album.  Files are there, I can see and play them in Windows Explorer as well as Media Center's Explorer, when I import them into MC the icon changes from the yellow starburst to the blue icon.

When the files cannot be located in the library, the blue icon is replaced by the yellow starburst. The files can't play in that mode till I reimport them.

Per Jim's suggestion, I reverted to importing from MC instead of dragging and dropping from Explorer. The behavior continued, with 3 drives in particular. (I hadn't used MC to import originally, because I found the import command under Tools or the import function from right clicking to be quite buggy, and crashed MC repeatedly.)

Thnx/Zootsuit
Pages: [1]   Go Up