INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need advice on jriver not removing files from library when maps disconnect  (Read 1129 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

ive run into a issue where one of my mapped drives keeps disappearing on server 2008 R2, (which im in the process of troubleshooting) well when i do auto imports and if that drive disappears, then my jriver wipes out all those files from that drive in the library.
Right now i have jriver auto import set at fix broken links - Yes,
By choosing Yes (Protect files on missing drives) will that keep the files in my library if my mapped drive disappears on me.. so that upon next import those files dropped will not have to be reimported, thumbs built, and audio analyzed?

Thanks.

also if anyone else is using server 2008 R2 and has experienced disappearing maps. and fixed there problem, i'd love to hear what fixed your problem... I've recently changed my power settings to high performance, ( it was on Balanced) and also changed the auto disconnect from 15 to 1.. so far no drops (knock on wood)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

ive run into a issue where one of my mapped drives keeps disappearing on server 2008 R2, (which im in the process of troubleshooting) well when i do auto imports and if that drive disappears, then my jriver wipes out all those files from that drive in the library.
Right now i have jriver auto import set at fix broken links - Yes,
By choosing Yes (Protect files on missing drives) will that keep the files in my library if my mapped drive disappears on me.. so that upon next import those files dropped will not have to be reimported, thumbs built, and audio analyzed?

Thanks.
Yes, the protect files on missing drives will prevent files from a missing share to be removed from MC.

also if anyone else is using server 2008 R2 and has experienced disappearing maps. and fixed there problem, i'd love to hear what fixed your problem... I've recently changed my power settings to high performance, ( it was on Balanced) and also changed the auto disconnect from 15 to 1.. so far no drops (knock on wood)

You shouldn't need to choose high performance, that basically prevents the cpu from entering lower power states or the system entering a state of power saving without entering sleep mode.

For a server I would choose a low power state but disable sleep mode and hybernation. You can disable hibernate from the command line with 'powercfg -h off', it then also removes the insanely large file from C: root.

In advanced config in a power plan you can disable certain features from entering sleep, like pic adapters and usb adapters. From the device manager or network neighborhood you can change the advanced config on a network adapter to make sure its not put to sleep.

Hope that helps.

HTPC4ME

thanks InflatableMouse much appreciated.. had another (same music drive) map disappear, and then tested auto import. and it looks like they stuck.
Thanks alot!

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Just a tip...

If a lot of your media is on network storage, you might be happier if you import all of your media via UNC paths instead of via mapped drive letters.  The key is, even if the server uses local storage (in my case, I have a locally connected fast external RAID box) you have to import them even on the server via their UNC paths (which works fine and you still get good performance).

That way, you won't have mapped drive letters disappear or change, and you don't have to replicate the drive mappings on each machine in order to get "local" access to files (without being streamed via the Library Server system).  It also solves this problem:

Yes, the protect files on missing drives will prevent files from a missing share to be removed from MC.

The only exception is if you ever connect another drive that somehow uses that same drive letter.  If MC can "see" the drive letter (it exists), and it knows the files are "missing", it will still remove them from the Library.  So, be wary with low-in-the-alphabet drives if you ever actually unmount that network share (making the drive letter available to Windows again).

This is probably not an issue, but it bites me in some ways if I'm not careful.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HTPC4ME

hi Glynor, always appreciate your tips.
The way i've set up my server 2008 R2 (all self taught, no schooling, and first time playing with a server) and it's been up and running now for about 11 months. i do have to admit it's been quite the learning curve for me/ LOTS of troubleshooting, and googling.

Just 3 days ago my hdd case had started beeping, and the server would lock up, and finally i've come to conclusion it's not a bad drive or over heating, or the hdd enclosure itself ( I took drive in question out Music drive 1, ran chkdsk on different machine, and western digital data life guard, and sea tools all with pass results, and all in long test modes.) that it is a server issue. just no clue why it's disconnecting/disappearing. how i finally figured out it was music drive 1 was i have this handy app i bought called usb safely remove ( i bought this because i have 51 Hard drives on that system, and 2 dvd drives, plus usb ports, and it allowed me to hide, mount/eject drives all from the nifty program) and when jriver was doing auto import, usb safely removed popped up stating drive G/maps/music 1 had been removed, i then went to computer management disk management, and music drive 1 was no where to be found, until a complete shutdown, and reboot.

The way i set up our system on the one 24 bay unit, i went into disk management and right clicked each drive and chose path instead of drive letter and then i mapped all 24 drives to Drive letter G\Maps\Data\(Music\Music 1), then i turned on 2nd 24 bay unit (backup unit) and mapped all those drives to G\Maps\Backups\(music\music 1) and it's been working great. up until 3 days ago.

In jriver auto import i have it set up as follows
\\Server name\Movies\ (which then scans all HDD drives inside Movies)
\\Server name\Music\ (which then scans all HDD drives inside Music)
\\Server name\Videos\ (which then scans all HDD drives inside Videos)
\\Server name\Installs\Audio - Visual Proggies\Media Center\Libraries\ (this holds all cover art, and library files)
\\Server name\Personal Pics And vids\
\\Server name\Goathead\Audio - Video Dept (which then scans all HDD drives inside audio - video dept)

so from my little knowledge and what ive explained here... I'm gathering i do have it setup as you suggest?
thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up