INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd Bug affecting Playing or Ripping Digital CD  (Read 1221 times)

Crossy

• nothing more to say...
Odd Bug affecting Playing or Ripping Digital CD
« on: March 02, 2003, 12:57:52 pm »

First of all congratulations to all the fine people on the MJ8.0 developers team.

I stumbled over an odd bug in your otherwise very astute software. I recently changed my system configuration (installed yet another harddisc - #3) and suddenly I could no longer RIP or PLAY any CD in my DVD-ROM drive which became driver letter "G"

On playing only the "digital playback" mode was affected - unable to playback any title. Analog play via soundcard cable was still possible. Ripping - digitally - was neither possible anymore. A message like "could not open CD-ROM" or similar surfaced.  Burning on my burner (Driver Letter H) still worked.

I changed it back, hiding the newly created "F" partition with a partition table editor. The DVD ROM got its "F" drive letter back and everything worked again. Seems MJ cannot access / play / rip any CD/DVD on a drive letter beyond "F". Unfortunately since I'm not on WinNT 4 or Win2000 I cannot place my HDD drive letters towards the end of the Drive letter assignments  - which should alleviate the problem - but it's not a fix..

My suspicion is that I spotted a bug in your CDA-INPUT Plugin module (which would explaind this "experience"). I even downloaded the newest WINASPI from Adaptec (Nov.2002) and your most recent MJ8.0 Build. No change. I even downloaded the most recent CDA-Plugin ("Input plugin") with the plugin manager. No change at all..

Here are my system settings:
Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.396
Install Path: C:\Programme\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Unknown 1332 MHz MMX (souped up Tulatin)
Memory: Total - 774 MB, Free - 650 MB
Resource Info: System - 66 %, GDI - 81 %, User - 66 %

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4807.2300
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: N/A

Crossy

• nothing more to say...
Re: Odd Bug affecting Playing or Ripping Digital C
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 05:22:27 am »

FYI, - further info on my configuration..

I'm using a Promise Ultra100 DMA PCI adapter to connect my HDDs but the DVD-ROM drive (drive letter "G") and my Burner CD-RW (letter "H") are connected to my internal Ultra ATA connectors present on my mainboard (VIA 694T-Chipset)

When I want to playback, MJ8.0 correctly accesses the CDBB lookup service as specified in my options. However the "location" window where the Cd-Tracks should be mentioned in the format <Drive Letter:>":\TrackXX.CDA" displays Location: "0x0019903:\Track.01.cda" up to "0x0019903:\Track.xx.cda" (for the last track on the cd)

When I want to rip from G or H I get the correct title track headings, but when I start the operation ripping aborts instantly with the error message "Open drive failed - Parameter is out of range"

I hope you can lead me to a way to get this running or at least reproduce my error..

rgrds
CROSSY

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Odd Bug affecting Playing or Ripping Digital C
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 07:36:30 pm »

I would do the ol' backup license/library...uninstall MJ...reboot...reinstall MJ...restore license/library bit. Doing so should fix problem. Get latest ASPI also (update after uninstalling MJ).

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up