INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hot to find the "right" genre for a song ?  (Read 1038 times)

yannl

• Junior Woodchuck
  • :-)
Hot to find the "right" genre for a song ?
« on: March 28, 2002, 05:18:25 am »

Does somebody has an idea for me to find a way discovering "right" songs genre ?
It's hard to make a correct classification. Is this song rock, pop, alternative...
Using CDDB is a waste of time for that, because everybody add the genre by itself, so the same CD can be POP or Progressive...
I know that there is a software out there who read the song "signature" and then try to classify it, but it's far from reliable...
Any idea ?
Yann L<br>________________________<br><br>Dans la vie, il faut faire comme le canard;<br>Etre calme en surface et pédaler comme un fou en profondeur (

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
RE:Hot to find the
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2002, 05:41:22 am »

Personally, I think there's no such thing as the "right" genre. It's all subjective. What you may consider to be heavy metal, I or ZRocker may only consider Hard Rock. What some say is Country, others may say is Pop (in the case of Shania Twain, for instance). I just assign genre's that mean something to me. And the only genres I'm currently using are Rock, Metal, Pop, Country, Classical, Celtic, Tribal, Oldies, Comedy, Television, Video Game, Sound Effect, Film Score, and Soundtrack. That pretty much sums it all up quite adequately for me. I think I may also have assigned a few files with something like Drum Solo or Guitar Solo. Now obviously something that's very obviously twang country isn't going to get assigned to the Metal genre, but then again, if I found and twang in my library, it wouldn't stay there very long. Next Page

I don't even try to start breaking it up even more than that, because really, what's the point? If I want to create a smartlist for all of my Rock music, I don't also want to have to remember to add in Hard Rock, Punk Rock, Alternative Rock, etc. etc.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2002, 08:14:57 am »

well i think there should be a few genres

1. Like
2. Hate

And both are 4 letter words.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Michael Horton

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2002, 08:36:34 am »

I used to have 2 genres--rock, wife. I also used to have 2 ratings--1 and 5. Then one day I noticed that all the songs with a rating of 1 also had a genre of wife. So I deleted them. Now I have one genre and one rating. If they ain't a 5, they ain't in the computer. Life's too short to listen to music that you don't love. I bought my wife a new computer. It's in her sewing room. She can listen to whatever the hell she wants to in there. I can't hear it anyway. I've got my Sony MDR-v700 headphones on. She can listen to whatever she wants to in her car; she has little mp3 player in the glove compartment of my truck.

Listening to: Miracle Legion - The Backyard  Next Page

Scronch

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2002, 08:57:25 am »

Make everything "Booty Bass".

Actually, I use lots of genres, and use them to drive smartlists.  But the "official" genre list is assinine.  Those people should be shot.  I just make up my own.  OK, so I'm sort of locked into MJ by doing that.  That's OK.

Scronch
Pages: [1]   Go Up