INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Make Remote Control operate MC18 without focus ?  (Read 877 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Make Remote Control operate MC18 without focus ?
« on: May 09, 2013, 03:16:01 pm »

I use MC18 on a PC that is connected to an HD TV as its only display.

Sometimes the HD TV is turned off when I play music (to save power), and sometimes that HD TV is set to a different input for a satellite DVR.

So, I am often playing music using MC18 without having a monitor displaying that PC.

The phone rings, I pick up the remote, press PAUSE and nothing happens.... because a browser or Windows Explorer or something else has focus.

Is there any way to set things to have MC18 always respond to remote commands, even when it doesn't have focus ?   I am using a standard MCE remote.

( I know that I could create a Global Keyboard Hot Key, and then set a key on the remote to do that keyboard hot key sequence, but I am looking for a way to have all Remote key presses control MC18 regardless of focus, since I don't use the remote with any other PC applications. )

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Make Remote Control operate MC18 without focus ?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 04:14:58 pm »

Does the MCE remote allow you to enter a custom command for a button? If so, you should be able to create Global Hotkeys.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 04:38:15 pm »

Do you have MC to start Media Server on Windows startup?  Tools/Options/Startup.

kstuart

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 04:39:54 pm »

Yes, Media Server is started at startup.

kstuart

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 01:36:11 pm »

I have discovered that if I go to Tools->Options->Remote

and then click on Start Learning and then click on a function in the list and then a button on the remote (and then Stop Learning, and restart MC18 and Media Server), then those learned keys are Global and will work even with MC18 minimized or otherwise without focus.

It would nice to have an Option that would simply make the original default key mappings on the remote "Global".
Pages: [1]   Go Up