INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming to Xbox360  (Read 2794 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Streaming to Xbox360
« on: May 24, 2013, 02:48:28 pm »

Now that my HTPC is temporarily unavailable, I've been using my xbox360 as a renderer to play movies.

This works great, except that the quality isn't all that great. I've added a new DLNA server with the Xbox profile, but there's some serious banding, its blocky (artifacts) and I think refresh rate isn't matched to the framerate.

Is this it or can I do something about these? I remember playing full HD WMV's in the past and they looked really great.

Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
Re: Streaming to Xbox360
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:40:28 am »

The most current builds should have very good WMV conversion playback (as well as autofps by default). Of course if the files aren't being converted you should see the native resolution. I tested this last week on our XBOX and it looked good.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 02:56:45 pm »

I know it can do very well, I'm not sure why I'm not seeing that.

I assume there's nothing I need to adjust on the DLNA Settings when I add 'xbox360'. It's currently the only one in the list.

Maybe its my settings on the Xbox itself, currently I have it set to the following:

1080p over HDMI
Reference Levels: Expanded
HDMI Colorspace: Auto
Display Discovery: On

I assume Reference Levels mean 0-255 for expanded. My TV supports this and its enabled.
I've no idea about the HDMI colorspace. I can choose from: Auto, Source, RGB, YCbCr709 and YCbCr601.

I also assume there is no difference whether I drag and drop a movie to 'xbox360' under playing now or browsing to JRiver and pick a movie using the Xbox System Video Player (from apps).

I've made a picture of the screen. No idea why its upsidedown, but you can see the blocks in the dark part upper left and some banding below it (although that's not very visible from the picture I made). This is from an excellent bluray rip that has no banding or blocking at all when played directly on the pc.

I checked my receiver's HDMI settings and tried some settings from the HDMI colorspace. I'm not sure if there's a difference and if there is, it's not very noticable. If you can advise what the proper settings would be I'd appreciate it.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 05:24:44 pm »

It does downsize to 720p. The encoder probably can't keep up with 1080p with WMV since it's not multithreaded. Previously however, it maxed out at 600 lines so it should look better not worse. I am checking into the average bit rate and I'll let you know if I see something interesting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up