INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Add playlist to Playing Now, shuffle, listen, reset to original order?  (Read 1655 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

I would like to play a playlist that is comprised of many albums in sequence, shuffle the songs and start listening. Once I may find an artist/song I like and want to hear the rest of the album I want to unshuffle or return the playlist to its original order and let it play through the rest of the album. Is there a way to do this besides adding a counter field that keeps the playlist in a certain sequence?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

I figured out how to do this. I'm actually doing this to help someone else. He likes to listen to music in a random order until he finds a song/artist that appeals to his current mood. He then finishes listening to the rest of the album. He has used Shuffle/UnShuffle in Winamp for years.

Since JRiver uses a dynamic Playing Now instead of a static list, it makes it a little more challenging since there really isn't an "original order" to Playing Now. Songs, albums, and playlists can all be added during the listening session so you really can't Unshuffle.

I don't think he cares if the playlist is in the original order, he just wanted the rest of the album to be in order. I found that all files are assigned a Filekey. From my brief checking, it seems that all files in an album are sequentially numbered in track order using the Filekey.

In Playing Now I added an expression column showing Filekey().

During playback of any playlist in random order, I can now click the Filekey column to resort and songs are now organized by album. I right click the zone and select Update Order. The rest of the album will now play in sequence before going to another album. After the album finishes playing, I can click Ctrl +R to reshuffle again.

I request a hotkey to resort by Filekey and update order so this can be done in Theater View.  :) It is kind of like the opposite of Shuffle, but really isn't an UnShuffle.

Why doesn't Update Order have a hotkey already? Is there any way to update order in Theater View?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.

Why doesn't Update Order have a hotkey already? Is there any way to update order in Theater View?

Add a local or global hotkey, assigning the command to 26000, no Param required.

Quote from: mojave
I don't think he cares if the playlist is in the original order, he just wanted the rest of the album to be in order. I found that all files are assigned a Filekey. From my brief checking, it seems that all files in an album are sequentially numbered in track order using the Filekey.

In Playing Now I added an expression column showing Filekey().

Caution: FileKey() values aren't guaranteed to be in track order.  See attached.

The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up