INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about output dithering  (Read 2594 times)

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
Question about output dithering
« on: May 14, 2013, 02:03:56 pm »

Bit depth and dithering go into affect AFTER everything in the DSP section?  Unless there is a (VST) plug-in in DSP that can dither, but then that should probably be disabled. (18.0.183)

All correct?

Is there any condition under which the Analyzer would be showing the real output, including dithering?  I ask this because when I first started using .183 the Analyzer (last position) was showing what appeared to be dither noise up at 22-23k very clearly.  But later when I went back to it no dithering was showing and I couldn't find any position or condition that would bring it back.  I guess it could have by coincidence been the track I was playing...  Some dithering is visually quite obvious.

I need to be sure that final bit depth and dithering is only at the final output and as specified in Audio Output->Output Mode Settings.

Also, could we get a general idea of how the auto-depth works?  Use the highest BD possible based on the source and output device chosen?

Thanks

--Bill

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Question about output dithering
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 02:07:24 pm »

Dithering is always last, after any DSP.  It will never be visible with Analyzer.

The auto-bitdepth works by picking the highest possible hardware bitdepth (like ASIO and Core Audio already did).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 03:24:12 pm »

Dithering is always last, after any DSP.  It will never be visible with Analyzer.

The auto-bitdepth works by picking the highest possible hardware bitdepth (like ASIO and Core Audio already did).

Thanks Matt.

Would there be any difference (any kind) between e.g. setting 16 bit depth in the audio options, versus leaving it on auto-select depth and (in my case) selecting/configuring the output device driven by Wasapi Event driver to be limited to 16 bit?

--Bill

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 03:49:52 pm »

Automatic should be best in almost all cases.  Only set it manually if playback is failing otherwise.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up