INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Autostack - please come back  (Read 2325 times)

chrisbutty

• Recent member
Autostack - please come back
« on: May 24, 2013, 07:20:38 am »

I can't get Autostack to work nicely with MC18.  :(

I have a few thousand tracks and many of them are unstacked since using Unstack in MC17.  I used Autostack in MC16 successfully.  When I moved to MC17 I couldn't get results and waited for a fix but no luck.  My move to MC18 to fix this yesterday leaves me with similar failure.

If I select a few different tracks with duplicates within the group they stack all under one track when I use 'Autostack Files by Name' and also if I use 'Auto Stack Files by Artist, Album, Name' etc.   If I then Unstack I can lose files.  (In MC17 I couldn't re-import the lost files back to the library easily either.)

Since MC16 days I have my files on a NAS.
I access the Autostack command by right click on selected files and select Stacks; Advanced; Autostack Files by Name)

My final goal is to get and keep everything in the library stacked correctly so I don't get tracks playing back twice.
I've been struggling with this for many, many months now so would really appreciate help.

chrisbutty

• Recent member
Re: Autostack - please come back
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:52:28 am »

Have I left you all puzzled?
Please dev/pool of heros, help me out on this.

C

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 10:03:46 am »

Are you having problems with auto-stack not stacking nicely, or with losing files after you unstack?

If you're losing files after you unstack, it might be worth looking at files in a different view or even a smartlist since a view won't always show stack members next to each other once exploded (since they can have different properties).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

chrisbutty

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 05:07:08 am »

Thanks Matt, I had picked that up in a few assocaited posts but a good reminder for this issue in any case.

Main problem is the AutoStack.   MC18 will stack (rollup several tracks under one of the tracks) but the stack criteria is wrong.  (then if I unstack they aren't all visible - so not unstacking correctly in my case.)

icstm

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 07:47:47 am »

I have found that I have to stack each ablum seperately.
To make my life easier I have designed views that show the files that are highly likely to need stacking grouped together so that I can quickly assess and stack as required.

chrisbutty

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 04:29:04 pm »

icstm; wow !   Can you share how (simply)?

I have recorded an example here:

1. before situation (before autostack by album artist name.PNG)
2. after using Stacks...Advanced...Autostack files by Artist, Album, Name (after autostack by album artist name.PNG)
and the log (JRiver Log 2013-05-28 22-15-04.zip)

3 subsequently using Unstack
and the result (finally the unstack operation returns this.PNG)
and the log (JRiver Log 2013-05-28 22-16-24.zip)

If I go another view eg albums and search for "Half the perfect" I find the album but with only 3 tracks.
Boo hoo.

icstm

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 03:41:40 am »

I am confused, in your "before" snapshot, you seem to have stacked files (I can see the stack icon in column 2).
Am I missing something?

chrisbutty

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 10:22:18 am »

Interesting observation - I hadn't noticed.

I didn't know or think I had to unstack everything before I use auto-stack.
Do you think that's the cause?   Is it logical or just something we have to learn?
I'll make some trials.

Still have the unstack and 'lose' tracks issue.  I have tried to move to another view as suggested looking at standard audio views e.g. Album, artist, genre etc but thetracks are not visible. 
I tried search too.   
I can see them in the recent Playing Now's but no indication there whether they are in the library or I am just looking or playing back fromthe NAS.
I have tried to reimport the folder but receive the message '0 files imported'.  From experience I think I have to delete all the files for that album and then reimport them.  Then I think I have to repair some of the tags.

Do these events/symptoms trigger any ideas? ?

C
Pages: [1]   Go Up