INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't record from LINE-IN  (Read 2058 times)

Mr. John

Can't record from LINE-IN
« on: March 27, 2002, 09:13:52 am »

After my trial period with MJ 8, I removed it from the computer and downloaded MJ 7.2.280. I recorded tapes, LP's, etc. in MJ 8, but now, when I go to tools-record sound-options-auto sound adjustment-Start test, at the End of test, I get a pop-up stating, No sound was detected.... I hear the sound I want to record from the speakers, but it's not getting to MJ. I followed all the steps in Help, to no avail. My computer is a compaq presario 7360, operating with Windows 98, phone line modem.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Can't record from LINE-IN
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2002, 09:20:17 am »

Try selecting a different input.  It isn't always line.  Try mixer, for example.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2002, 09:24:11 am »

Are you talking about the Auto Recording Volume? If so, that always tells me that it can't detect sound but MJ always records just fine.

Guess I should report that in the bug thread as well...

Mr. John

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2002, 09:41:10 am »

doof
Yes, it's auto volume adjustment, and it says it is recording after I press Start , but it is barely showing blue in the left and right volume recording level slots. With full volume on playback I can barely hear the song. I'll try the mixer, Jim, thanks.

stebajo

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2002, 09:48:19 am »

With mixer setting it goes fine for me.
(I've too set 'What U Hear' in REC Mixer settings)

Mr. John

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2002, 09:53:58 am »

No luck trying Mixer. Could too high of a line-in volume blow out my sound card? I tried a higher volume from my stereo receiver, initially.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2002, 10:00:33 am »

There's somebody out there more knowledgeable about this than I am, but I know there sometimes a "powered" or "amplified" jack on a sound card, and an unpowered or unamplified one. I think usually, the line-in is unpowered because the device that's plugged into it is amplifying the signal, and the mic one is powered because a mic generally doesn't have any sort of amp... I wonder if that's what's going on... can you plug it into your mic jack and try recording from that?

stebajo

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2002, 10:14:58 am »

The Sblive! Value mixer has an optional mic boost |PLS|20db, if it can help.

Mr. John

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2002, 10:24:38 am »

I don't want to plug into the mic jack because of impedance differences. MJ worked before on line-in, both versions {V 8.0 and 4.0), so it should again. There is something else happening, and I can't figure what.

Toad

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2002, 10:30:59 am »

The stereo should be hooked to the sound card using the line out from the stereo (as in the line out to the tape deck for recording) to the line in on the sound card, that way there is no amplification of the sound and the volume of the stereo will not affect it.

Toad

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2002, 10:31:01 am »

The stereo should be hooked to the sound card using the line out from the stereo (as in the line out to the tape deck for recording) to the line in on the sound card, that way there is no amplification of the sound and the volume of the stereo will not affect it.

Mr. John

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2002, 10:52:59 am »

Toad
I hooked Line-in to stereo tape out, as you said. Got song from computer speakers, unaffected by stereo volume control. Still won't record. As I said before, it worked great before on other MJ versions. On 7.2.280, it won't.

JohnT

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2002, 11:20:16 am »

Go into your control panel/sound and multimedia dialog. On the "Audio" tag under recording, see if there are multiple recording devices. Until version 8, MJ would not let you choose the recording device, but would just grab the first one that could handle 44100hz, stereo 16 bit recording. It may be recording from a device you can't see or control in the windows mixer.

If this isn't the case, check out the "line-in recording tips" on the help menu on this web page. Try the tips in the section that begins "If you are having trouble getting anything to record ...".
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Mr. John

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2002, 01:06:56 pm »

John T
You have made my day! I went to control panel for multimedia and found I had Total Recorder as my default playback and record device. I had downloaded it some days ago to check it out, and didn't realize it had taken over. Thanks alot for your help.  I also apprciate you other guys who offered help. Case closed!
Pages: [1]   Go Up