INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is is safe to install antivirus software  (Read 1048 times)

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Is is safe to install antivirus software
« on: May 17, 2013, 04:50:41 pm »

After a few hiccups getting my system up and running it all seems pretty smooth now. I know that antivirus software can with MC and I'm wondering if there is anything specific or out of the ordinary I should do before setting up Microsoft Security Essentials or during the installation.

Re: Is is safe to install AV software yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 05:05:30 pm »

I have never had a problem with Microsoft Security Essentials. (though I use the version built into Windows 8)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 05:07:43 pm »

There are no known issues with Microsoft Security Essentials.

And while it's true that virus checkers often cause problems, I don't believe this is specific to MC.  Hopefully virus checkers also solve problems, although JRiver doesn't hear about that side of it, making us a little jaded.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rec head

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 05:28:19 pm »

Thanks

I don't think I had any antivirus related issues before but I just wanted to check.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 07:00:07 pm »

I haven't had any problems with Microsoft Security Essentials or with Windows Defender for Windows 8.
One thing you can do with MSE or WD is exclude certain files and locations.  You can do that in the Settings tab.  So you can exclude the directory where JRiver is installed, or exclude specific EXE files like "Media Center 18.exe" or "JRService.exe".  You can also exclude locations like where your media files and library are stored.  Not that any of that is actually necessary.  But for performance and playback purposes it may be helpful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up