INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: default folder for adding Cover Art  (Read 1919 times)

Otello

• World Citizen
Request: default folder for adding Cover Art
« on: May 16, 2013, 08:58:25 am »

Well, quite often I need to add cover art after importing music in the library, so quite often I use Tools/Cover Art/Add from file.

Now, JR default to the last used folder for this search, while, 99.9% of times, the cover art I'm looking for is in the same folder of the selected music files, or in one of its subfolders.
I'd really appreciate if JR defaults to the files folder where are stored the selected files.

Ciao
Marco

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Request: default folder for adding Cover Art
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 09:18:38 am »

If you use Tools > Cover Art > Quick Find, it should find art that is stored in the same directory as the files.

I would like the option to set a default directory for Cover Art though - 99% a lot of the time when I'm manually adding art, it will be in \My Pictures\Cover Art\

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:25:32 am »

Thanks 6233638 !

I didn't notice the "Quick Find" option... (where is my emoticon with thick glasses?)

BTW, as 99% of times your cover art is in \My Pictures\Cover Art\, I imagine that 99% of times you start in the right directory, as JR defaults to the last used.  ;)

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:34:17 am »

BTW, as 99% of times your cover art is in \My Pictures\Cover Art\, I imagine that 99% of times you start in the right directory, as JR defaults to the last used.  ;)
Well it should, but a lot of the time I'm finding myself navigating there manually. Perhaps I shouldn't have said "99%"
I'm not sure if there are other things I'm doing inside Media Center which would also be changing that location though.

If I find album art that is "good" on Google - I will just save it to that directory and import it into Media Center. If it needs editing though, I generally save it to my desktop. (because it's quicker)
So I'm switching between the desktop and the "CD Covers" folder a fair amount. It's quick to get to the desktop, but not the CD covers (click on the drive, then pictures, then the folder)

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 08:37:53 am »

If you use Tools > Cover Art > Quick Find, it should find art that is stored in the same directory as the files.

I would like the option to set a default directory for Cover Art though - 99% a lot of the time when I'm manually adding art, it will be in \My Pictures\Cover Art\

Isnt that what Tools > Options > Files Location > Cover Art > Audio Mode > In a specified folder does (I have mine to same folder as the file). There is beneath this a selectable folder for "Cover Art" where I presume such things as "series" and "seasons" art is placed.

also after photo editing the art from the desktop you presumably return the edited version to the desktop.If you had a shortcut for the  Art folder on the desktop you could just drag the art into that shortcut and therefore straight to the art folder.That may avoid navigating to and from different places when importing into MC ?

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 09:11:56 am »

Isnt that what Tools > Options > Files Location > Cover Art > Audio Mode > In a specified folder does (I have mine to same folder as the file). There is beneath this a selectable folder for "Cover Art" where I presume such things as "series" and "seasons" art is placed.
That option is for where Media Center saves its cover art, and files need to have a specific naming structure in there.
I want to have a location that Media Center doesn't touch, in case something accidentally removes or overwrites my album art, because there is no way to undo that - and I've had that happen a few times now.
Originally I was just storing a Folder.jpg alongside the files (with Media Center handling its art in %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 18\Cover Art) but then you run into problems when you want to rename/move folders.

also after photo editing the art from the desktop you presumably return the edited version to the desktop.If you had a shortcut for the  Art folder on the desktop you could just drag the art into that shortcut and therefore straight to the art folder.That may avoid navigating to and from different places when importing into MC ?
That would work, but I don't really want to clutter up my desktop. The way I use it, anything that goes on the desktop is temporary, and after a day or two everything there gets deleted or moved unless I'm currently using it.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 06:14:08 pm »

thanks for your explanation.I have expanded some thoughts below partially to see if I have it right and partially to address the OP question.

I want to have a location that Media Center doesn't touch, in case something accidentally removes or overwrites my album art, because there is no way to undo that - and I've had that happen a few times now.
Thats what you have by creating your own cover art folder. If the you made it the "default" folder for MC, wouldn't that defeat the purpose??

Originally I was just storing a Folder.jpg alongside the files (with Media Center handling its art in %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 18\Cover Art) but then you run into problems when you want to rename/move folders.
I agree using the AppData location and folder.jpg are both problematic. I have changed the Cover art directory to my media drive as I do not want my data mixed in with operating files in case I need to Re OS.I also changed the thumnails cache with a registry change.I then can easily backup these locations in case the originals get messed with.

As you say,whether in AppData or moved elsewhere, this is the MC default covert art location and it creates its own Albums,Artists,Files,Seasons,Series,Videos Folders. Im my case the "Albums" are empty as it represents where audio art is placed.In options I have placed this in "same folder as file" as I like everything together.You can however apparently choose ANY folder as implied by the "in a specified folder" option.

Video Cover art.Now this looks like it has changed in the latest version.There is no longer an option to place the sidecar xml file alongside file.Im guessing it now does this automatically.

The seasons and Series folders, unlike the audio art, must stay in the default cover art folder for MC to create separate art for these things and not confused with album or episode art.You may need to create these folders manually if they dont exist.

Finally I tick the option to embed the art into file where possible. Video files dont support this, thus the need for sidecar files.

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 06:53:30 pm »

Thats what you have by creating your own cover art folder. If the you made it the "default" folder for MC, wouldn't that defeat the purpose??
Well I don't want it to be the location for Media Center to store the files, just the default location that it opens when I go to add covers manually.

The original request was to have it look in the folder where the files are currently situated.
An option for: Last Folder / File Location / Specified Directory
Seems like it would cover everything - at least as far as the original request is concerned.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 09:01:32 pm »

Yeah that would be great  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up