INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to run Media Network 'headless'  (Read 8158 times)

Scetes

• Recent member
How to run Media Network 'headless'
« on: May 18, 2013, 08:09:03 am »

How can I run the Media Network as a service that starts when my Mac starts, and stays resident?  the idea is to have a Mac Mini be a dedicated music server - always running and connected to my stereo.  and, use JRemote to control MC playback.  I do not run MC on Windows, but I thought I'd read that MC can run as a system service on Windows.  so, I assume the Mac version of MC has (or will have) the same capability.

thx
Wyred4Sound DAC2, Focal powered CMS monitors and sub, Pioneer PD-65 for CD transport, Pioneer TX-7500 Tuner

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to run Media Network 'headless'
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 11:02:33 am »

MC doesn't really run as a service on the Windows side (unless people use various utilities to hack it to be so), but instead has a stand-alone/linked exe that runs most of the servers. WinMC exposes some choices in the GUI on how to launch--ie. with login, server only, server and main GUI, etc.

I don't think the Mac version has this capability yet (at least, I haven't seen it), but you can achieve much the same functionality by configuring the server options the way you want them and making MC Mac a login item for your user account. It does mean that you need to be logged in, but the same thing is true on the windows side (at least without hacks).

It may be possible to find a way to trigger the behavior you're looking for by creating a custom LaunchAgent and triggering an appropriate helper app included in the MC Mac application package, but a quick poke around didn't reveal anything likely at this point.

Best,
Brad

Scetes

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 04:58:12 pm »

thx.  that's good to know. not entirely bad situation, but a little disappointing.  i'd really like to have a music server attached by usb to my stereo...and don't want to have to use if like a computer, if you know what i mean.  I just want to turn it on and use ipad app to choose my songs.  I was hoping JRiver would be the software solution for me.   I guess JRiver still has one leg up on Itunes.  at least it will set the correct bit depth and refresh rate automatically for each song. i have some 48/24, 96/24, and 192/24 files.   iTunes doesn't.
Wyred4Sound DAC2, Focal powered CMS monitors and sub, Pioneer PD-65 for CD transport, Pioneer TX-7500 Tuner

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 05:49:39 pm »

Just a tiny correction to a previous post. By making Media Center a login item at startup for your default account it will do exactly what you want. That is as soon as you boot your Mac (i.e. push power button on back of Mac Mini, I do this with a headless Mac Mini) it will invoke Media Center at startup. There is no need to actually have to login to the computer. You can control your tunes using either JRemote, or Share screen via another Mac, or using another application such as Splashtop Streamer.

I have attached a screenshot of the configuration.
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

Scetes

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 07:52:25 pm »

well, I set it up.  but, MC doesn't seem to be started until after I login.  i tried connecting to the media network from jremote before login, but it doesn't connect.  does your user somehow autologin when you start your Mac?

-- updated my post --
i set my user to auto login.  and now it works. 

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 06:49:53 pm »

Apologies, I forgot not everyone uses auto login, glad you were able to get it to work.

Barr
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s
Pages: [1]   Go Up