INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver first time user - Video Stutters/No 5.1 Audio using WASAPI  (Read 4615 times)

hlshure

• Recent member

Hey Everyone. I'm new to the forum and JRiver. Just downloaded it and excited to get it going but I am having some difficulty. Here is my setup:

Windows 8 Laptop with HD4000 graphics card (connected to receiver via HDMI)
Yamaha RX-V371
5.1 speakers
Files being played are .TSO DVD rips and .M2TS Blu-Ray rips

I installed JRiver MC18 and set the audio to WASAPI and the device to my HDMI out. I have an external HD with DVD and Blu-ray backups on there. When I play standard DVD I am not getting 5.1 and the video stutters. Also, I have received the following error: "Playback could not be started using the format 48kHz 32bit 6ch. This format would work 48kHz 32bit 2ch." Not sure why this is happening. I have been using XBMC using WASAPI and have not had any problems. Does anyone have any suggestions as I have read the audio setup section and I believe that I have set it up correctly.

Here are links to screen shots of my settings. (couldn't figure out how to embed the photos into the post)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vs0ru6jw9xx9c4u/Pic1.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/btdcui7jjt6irs2/Pic2.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/15hnjnbhw0k8dld/Pic3.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8mv7fdhdjudk0z/Pic4.jpg

Thank you!

icstm

• World Citizen
Re: JRiver first time user - Video Stutters/No 5.1 Audio using WASAPI
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 08:06:54 am »

I cannot see your screenshots from where I am currently logged in, but some basic tests:

Do audio files play fine? (eg mp3, flac)
Do avi files with basic mp2 video and 2ch mp3/aac audio play fine?

I am not familiar with all the JRiver error messages, but I would have thought that "Playback could not be started using the format 48kHz 32bit 6ch" suggests that it is NOT sending as a bitstream ac3/DTS but that it is decoding and trying to send multi-channel LPCM - is this what you want?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 08:49:18 am »

It may help to set Bitdepth in the WASAPI options to "24 in 32 package" or however it is worded now, instead of the "Automatic" option.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

csimon

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:03:16 am »

I got that message when trying to send DTS over HDMI to a TV that only supports Dolby Digital and PCM.  :-[

I can't really say what's going wrong in your case as your screenshots suggest to me that everything is set up correctly and your target device supports the format you are trying to send.

hlshure

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 11:30:58 am »

Thanks for the replies.

@icstm - I'll have to put some audio/avi files on the laptop and try it. I use it currently for movies only. I'll give that a shot when I get home from work today.

@nevcairiel - I'm pretty sure I tried that but I will test it again just to make sure.

@csimon - not sure either. I have been using XBMC with WASAPI and I'm getting Dolby TrueHD and DTS - HD Master with the same exact hardware setup.

One thing that I noticed messing around with it last night is that if I change from WASAPI to Direct Sound and use the audio option to select default channels, I get smooth video and PCM 5.1 sound from my receiver but the sound quality is not great. Lack of bass and volume is about 10db lower than when I switch to XBMC same movie same part. I'm assuming that something in that option setup is giving me subpar audio playback. But no matter what I try I cannot get the receiver to show me Dolby TrueHD or DTS - HD Master using JRiver.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 02:08:43 pm »

If WASAPI Exclusive is working in other programs, but not Media Center, my guess would be that your hardware doesn't support Event-Style WASAPI. Try disabling that.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 02:13:33 pm »

You can't have multiple programs set to Exclusive.  Only one can be.

hlshure

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 11:12:24 pm »

So I have tried disabling event style - same error as listed in first post
I tried disabling exclusive access - same error
I then tried changing XBMC from WASAPI to Direct Sound so that it would not be set to exclusive (although there is no setting in XBMC for that) - same error

So I decided to completely uninstall any other players (XBMC, RealPlayer, VLC) just to see if there might be a conflict occurring and the results are no different. I keep getting that same error. I really want to love this program but at this point XBMC seems to be a lot easier to use.

If anyone else has any other suggestions I'm all ears. If you need any other info from me to assist, please ask.

Update: I tried playing Audio tracks as well and got the same error. Then I decided to enable bitstream with the HDMI option. Now the Audio plays, the Blu-rays play with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-Master, but the regular DVD's have stuttering video (the program sometimes crashes when trying to play them) and some of the Blu-rays still give me the error (Harry Potter Order of Phoenix & Goblet of Fire).

Not really sure what this all means or how to fix it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 08:33:13 am »

Try updating MC to the latest build from this board.

Try Red October Standard.

hlshure

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 12:01:48 am »

I am downloading the latest version now. Under Help>Update Channels I chose latest and then checked for updates. It's installing now. I do not know what Red October Standard is. Is that a setting and if so where would I find it?

Thanks!

Update:  Installed the latest version of MC18 and found the Red October video setting. I have been using standard. We are getting closer. The TSO files seem to be working now but I am still getting the same error with the Harry Potter movies and Cars/Cars 2. There could be others as I have not tested all 350 movies that I have. Another strange thing is that even though my receiver shows DTS or Dolby Digital with all 5.1 speakers lit up when playing the TSO files, the audio area in MC18 is stating that I am running in AC3 2 channel. When running M2TS files the audio area is accurate and shows Dolby TrueHD.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 08:18:53 am »

I realize that audio is main problem but you also have video stuttering.Try turning off hardware accelerate video,

Tools > Options > Video

I know it causes all manner of problems with my intel HD Graphics card (I think with Red October and ROHQ, id have to check again, but worth a try)

hlshure

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 03:35:24 pm »

Thanks Samson. I don't have the hardware acceleration option on. I tried it with and without and saw no difference so I left it off.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 03:45:35 pm »

Try dropping the bitdepth to 24-bit in DSP studio and re-enabling event style. I've noticed that some video cards have problems playing with certain hardware at high fidelity settings. If that doesn't work, drop the hardware buffer size to 50ms and retest.

It also doesn't hurt to match Windows sound output to match JRiver's settings in case there is a problem with exclusive mode:

Right-click the sound icon and choose playback devices. Select your audio device, and choose configure-->set to 5.1. Save settings, enter the properties dialog and change bitdepth and sample rate to what you are using in JRiver (in the case of the above troubleshooter, set it at 24/48000).

hlshure

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 09:15:58 pm »

Hey Everyone. I appreciate all the help. I have tried everyone's suggestions but I am still not able to get it all working. At this point I'm just going to stick with what I've been using. Maybe down the road I'll give this a try again.

filupmarley

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 09:40:22 pm »

I'm having the same issue as well with DVD rips (.ifo). I'm using WASAPI event style (automatic now I know) with SPDIF to my receiver. I get the same error message "Playback could not be started using the format 48kHz 32bit 6ch. This format would work 48kHz 32bit 2ch". I've tried all of the various bit depth settings as well as disabling event style. Nothing fixed the issue. I first noticed this when I updated from 181 to 189. I've seen the issue ever since. I ended up having to bitstream everything...which stinks.

InsaneRC

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 10:04:14 pm »

I had same problem and dropped back to build 178 and everything works fine.
Licensed User:
JRiver Media Center 12-->27

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 04:41:53 am »

I'm using WASAPI event style (automatic now I know) with SPDIF to my receiver. I get the same error message "Playback could not be started using the format 48kHz 32bit 6ch. This format would work 48kHz 32bit 2ch".

SPDIF does not support more than stereo when you use uncompressed audio.
Only way to get multi-channel over SPDIF is with bitstreaming or re-encoding to AC3 (which MC also offers)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

filupmarley

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 07:56:03 pm »

SPDIF does not support more than stereo when you use uncompressed audio.
Only way to get multi-channel over SPDIF is with bitstreaming or re-encoding to AC3 (which MC also offers)

Wow! I did not know that. My mistake. Thanks for Clarifying nevcairiel. I had to switch from HDMI to SPDIF because of DRM issues with my cable card. My TV only has DVI inputs not HDCP compliant apparently. It makes perfect sense now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up