INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convert Unsupported Formats in DLNA Mode - AIF in Itunes  (Read 9885 times)

keithsonic

• Recent member
Convert Unsupported Formats in DLNA Mode - AIF in Itunes
« on: May 13, 2013, 07:16:26 am »

Hi
I posted recently that latest version of JRiver 18.175 no longer has an option to Convert Unsupported Formats that was in v158. This means I can no longer play AIF files ripped with iTunes. If there is anyone at JRiver reading these posts could they cast any light on what the alternatives are?
Keith

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Convert Unsupported Formats in DLNA Mode - AIF in Itunes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 10:23:22 am »

Have you tried any of the options, e.g. LPCM?

I say this because build 169 renamed the DLNA conversions options to be more descriptive, and as far as I'm aware no functionality was changed. Although perhaps JRiver staff could confirm this. See http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80490.0.

Also, LPCM is actually a DLNA-required protocol so your renderer should support it. The option previously called Uncompressed actualy meant LPCM I believe. Although I think it can come with a header or no header and some renderers have trouble with one or the other.

I'm not at an MC PC at the moment so can't have a look at what the options are, so can you list what options it gives you?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 10:50:15 am »

csimon is correct. The functions haven't changed, only the descriptions. Also correct about LCPM, it's a required to be supported by the spec. LPCM (big endian) is headerless. The other uncompressed format is little endian wave with a header. Wave is NOT required to be supported by the spec.

keithsonic

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 04:17:22 am »

I agree there seems to be no change in functionality as a result of changing the descriptions but v.175 will no longer stream AIF files ripped in iTunes to my Chord DSX1000 renderer. Files ripped in any format using JRiver all stream fine over DLNA/Powerline. I will give the latest version another try.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 09:39:14 am »

What is the sample rate and bit depth of one of the aif files and what are the settings in the DLNA audio->advanced section (I know you've got "specified format" set, what about the sample rate and encoder selection?)

keithsonic

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 04:17:21 pm »

All my AIF files in iTunes are 16 bit/44 khz
In the Advanced tab the settings are Convert Audio if Necessary and Uncompressed.
In the DLNA settings it says Convert Unsupported Formats and Uncompressed.
This is v158. I don't have v.175 installed but I did and selected the equivalent settings and uncompressed AIF files no longer played from my iTunes library
According to Chord Electronics my v.158 settings are a work around that they got from you I think.
Keith

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 10:09:41 am »

I'll give that a try here with a generic device and see if I can duplicate it.
With the settings you have, the AIF files should be getting sent as uncompressed wave (which means really just byte swapping them and adding a header).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 09:31:19 am »

I tried with the current build (187) and it worked fine with a cd ripped into windows itunes with the AIF format. I had it converting to both PCM 16 bit (wave) and headerless PCM 16 bit (L16).

My DLNA audio settings (in Media Network->Options->Add or configure DLNA server->[my server name] ) are:
Specified output format
Headerless PCM L16 No Header (and PCM 16 bit)
Advanced:
sample rate, same as source

Can you check to see if you match these settings?
Also, check the files in MC's database to see if MC is understanding the files properly (bitrate 1411, bit depth 16 and file type aif).

Thanks.

keithsonic

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 05:09:55 am »

Bob
I had toggled through all these settings and the only options that I can get to stream from v.187 are:
Specified output format only where necessary and PCM (16 or 24)
Sample Rate is same as source
Specified output format only setting does not work and PCM no header does not work either
The MC database shows all the right file properties but interestingly my Asus Control Point says that I am streaming Wav not AIF files.
In v.158 I was using Convert Where Necessary and Uncompressed DLNA settings so I guess these have just been renamed in later versions.
I now realise that I am streaming raw PCM rather than FLAC files or AIF converted to FLAC. With Squeezebox I was able to stream everything as FLAC using transcoding from AIF on the fly but I don't see that option in MC. While my Chord DSX1000 will accept 24/192 files in PCM these no longer stream over Powerline without stopping every few seconds even though I have c. 200mbps bandwidth. I guess I will have to downscale these to 24/96 which does work.
Interestingly, MC gives me the option to retain the source sample frequency but not the bit rate - I have to go with a fixed option of 16 or 24 for everything - maybe a future refinement.
Thanks for your help.
Keith
PS I am streaming from MC using BubbleSoftApp - MC drops the renderer from the Now Playing list whenever another computer in the house is switched on. Despite help from Chord, my own IT dept. and trying every firewall, router and network setting in the known universe I can't resolve this. I can Ping the renderer but not stream to it - quite strange but I am ever hopeful that one day this will be resolved by some upgrade in the network chain.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 09:33:24 am »

Bob
I had toggled through all these settings and the only options that I can get to stream from v.187 are:
Specified output format only where necessary and PCM (16 or 24)
Sample Rate is same as source
Specified output format only setting does not work and PCM no header does not work either
If you are streaming aif files, those two settings (Specified output format only where necessary and Specified output format) will both result in the file being "converted" to PCM or Headerless PCM since aif files are not specified to be supported by the DLNA spec.
The only difference then is the Sample rate but since you've go that as "same as source" I don't see how these 2 settings could result in a different Content Directory entry being presented to the renderer.
The MC database shows all the right file properties but interestingly my Asus Control Point says that I am streaming Wav not AIF files.
That's correct. The only way you'd see them show up as aif is if you had specified "Original"
In v.158 I was using Convert Where Necessary and Uncompressed DLNA settings so I guess these have just been renamed in later versions.
I now realise that I am streaming raw PCM rather than FLAC files or AIF converted to FLAC. With Squeezebox I was able to stream everything as FLAC using transcoding from AIF on the fly but I don't see that option in MC. While my Chord DSX1000 will accept 24/192 files in PCM these no longer stream over Powerline without stopping every few seconds even though I have c. 200mbps bandwidth. I guess I will have to downscale these to 24/96 which does work.
Interestingly, MC gives me the option to retain the source sample frequency but not the bit rate - I have to go with a fixed option of 16 or 24 for everything - maybe a future refinement.
Thanks for your help.
Keith
FLAC Doesn't stream unless it's in an ogg container. We don't support that right now. Perhaps in the future.
There isn't a downside to using 24 bit if your renderer supports it (other than the bandwidth increase). 24 bit with 16 bit material is simply a 0 byte added to the end of each sample.
PS I am streaming from MC using BubbleSoftApp - MC drops the renderer from the Now Playing list whenever another computer in the house is switched on. Despite help from Chord, my own IT dept. and trying every firewall, router and network setting in the known universe I can't resolve this. I can Ping the renderer but not stream to it - quite strange but I am ever hopeful that one day this will be resolved by some upgrade in the network chain.
Are these tests pulling from the renderer, pushing to the renderer with the BubbleSoftApp, pushing to the renderer with MC or have you tested all three to see if there are behavior differences??

As far as your network thing goes, check the DHCP server on your network, are you running out of leases? Perhaps check to see if you can assign a fixed lease to the renderer and PC with your DHCP server (usually on the router).
Pages: [1]   Go Up