INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuttering on music over 96khz  (Read 3096 times)

srico

Stuttering on music over 96khz
« on: May 25, 2013, 01:38:48 pm »

I'm using MC18 on Windows 7 64bit with an Asus Xonar DS. The soundcard is connected from the spdif to my Rega DAC using a Chord optichord. All works well except audio files above 96khz. Files over this stutter and if downsampled to 96khz play fine. I've tried both ASIO and WASAPI. Any ideas?

Paul W

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Stuttering on music over 96khz
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:31:19 am »

Try enabling HPET in both BIOS and Win 7.  Although it does not help all systems, it made a big difference in mine.

Enable in BIOS.  In Win 7 "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true".  Reboot.

srico

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 11:00:42 am »

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't help.

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 01:02:17 pm »

Try changing the WASAPI/ASIO buffer sizes in Media Center. Some devices prefer it if you increase the buffer, others work better with a smaller buffer.

srico

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 02:48:08 pm »

That didn't work either. Grateful to hear any other suggestions. I have found that WASAPI gives me better sound quality generally over ASIO. I'm using the stock Asus Xonar manufacturer drivers latest version.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 04:18:02 pm »

Are you sure you changed the hardware buffer and not the software buffer? If you are in Options > Audio > Output Mode Settings you can click "Open Driver Control Panel" and usually the hardware control panel will pop up. When you increase the sample rate using ASIO, the buffer size needs needs to be increased. Many times the buffer will show as samples and range from 64 samples to 2048 samples. The Asus ASIO control panel uses a decription of "Latency" and the buffer size is in milliseconds. A higher number is required when going over 96kHz. I would try it on the highest setting.

Here is what the Asus control panel looks like. By the way, the bit depth should be set to 24 bit like in the image.

srico

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 06:19:11 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion, I tired this but to no avail.
Pages: [1]   Go Up