INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can any generation of NUC run redoctober HQ?  (Read 3427 times)

cfineman

• Recent member
Can any generation of NUC run redoctober HQ?
« on: March 25, 2016, 04:32:57 pm »

I saw the recent news about 3DBD support and it got me wondering again whether the newer generations of NUC can run RedOctober HQ (since that seems to be a requirement for this new feature).

It's not super important but I've been thinking about ditching my existing HTPC with it's graphics card and picking up a NUC to shrink my stereo cabinet's footprint (I could get rid of the second tower if I didn't need it for the PC).

My guess is the ID is not sufficiently beefy.

Doing 3d is less interesting to me than, say, modest gaming (and maybe limelight for streaming PC games??) but I was kinda curious about NUC & ROHQ

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Can any generation of NUC run redoctober HQ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 09:31:47 pm »

It really depends on the MadVR settings you plan to use.  I have a two year old i5 NUC with Intel HD5000 graphics and it can run Red October HQ with certain settings.  It struggles with interlaced content on the default settings, but for progressive content it can actually handle the defaults well and can do even higher quality settings.  It can run MadVR even with interlaced content at reduced quality.  If I were buying a NUC tomorrow for HTPC use, I would make sure to buy one that had the Iris graphics, like this one: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc6i5syh.html.

My Surface Pro 4 has the same model graphics chip (Iris 540) and can handle ROHQ at default settings with all the content I've tried; it's an i7 not an i5, but the CPU doesn't seem to contribute much to MadVR performance.  Obviously if you want to max out your MadVR settings you're not going to get there with a NUC, but for plain vanilla ROHQ one of the modern ones with the Iris Graphics will probably be just fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up