Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rio 50  (Read 1218 times)

John_R

Rio 50
« on: March 26, 2002, 08:04:28 am »

I've been trying to get my Rio 500 working with Media Jukebox and will buy the software in a second if it worke.  Downloaded the add-on but keep getting the message "Player Not Found.  Please plug in the player and make sure it is turned on"  I've tried this with two different Rio 500's on two different computers and Media Jukebox can't find either one in Windows XP.  So, any advice?  Diamond claims the Rio 500 is a "legacy" device so it's not supported (even though its less than a year old--I think that's the last MP3 portable I'll ever buy)

Steve

RE:Rio 50
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2002, 08:33:12 am »

John_R,

To work well with MJ you need to get the Rio drivers installed that come with the MJ Plugin. If XP has already installed the drivers for your Rio, I would suggest that you remove them fully by following the directions at

http://www.sonicblue.com/support/rio/default.asp?menu=support&submenu=Legacy_Rio&item=faqs&product=Rio_500_PC#20399

Also uninstall the Rio Plugin for MJ. Make sure your Rio is disconnected and reboot.

After you reboot and BEFORE you connect your Rio, download the MJ Rio plugin. When you connect your Rio and XP asks if you want to install the default drivers, DO NOT accept the default, instead, point the installation to look in your System32 directory where it will find the drivers that we distribute with the Plug-in.

After this, you should be set. If you are still stuck email me at steve@jriver.com

John R

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2002, 08:40:55 am »

I don't have any Rio drivers installed on XP.  When I plug the Rio in, Windows XP detects an "Unknown Device" and offers to install Device Drivers for "Unknown Device."  I say no because it warns that the drivers are not certified.

So, are you saying I should go to Add New Hardware, then point to the System directory and choose the drivers there?  What would the name be (unless, of course, it's something simple like Rio500.dll).

Thanks

Steve

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2002, 09:59:14 am »

***So, are you saying I should go to Add New Hardware, then point to the System directory and choose the drivers there? What would the name be (unless, of course, it's something simple like Rio500.dll).**

Yes, after you have installed the MJ Plug-in. As to the name, when our plugin installs we run a utility provided by Rio to install the drivers. There are numerous files created. Don't worry about the name, just point XP to look in the System32 directory and it should work out.

John_R

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2002, 05:02:10 pm »

Pointed to WIn32 but it didn't find anything except for a warning about installing drivers for an "Unknown Device".

Steve

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2002, 05:10:10 am »

John_R,

Be sure to browse to System32 not Win32.  I just retested this on a clean XP with no Rio stuff installed and it worked great. Feel free to email me if you have further problems (steve @ jriver.com).

Joe Z.

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2002, 06:34:49 am »

Another thing to try is to just have XP seach your RIOport CD for the USB drivers.  This works for me and I have installed XP clean about 10 times.

Before you install the plugin, plug the RIO 500 in.  XP did not install any drivers on my system, it simply found the RIO 500 and popped up the hardware install box.  Then, point XP to the CD and it will find 2 drivers.  Pick one, it doesn't matter.  Then load up the MJ plugin.  Also, don't install any software off the CD, just use it for the USB drivers.

Steve

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2002, 06:42:38 am »

Joe Z.,

Thanks for taking the time to post that suggestion. I am sure that will be a huge help for many users.

Joe Z.

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2002, 11:29:46 am »

No problem, glad to help.  I should also note that the RIOport CD is as old as my RIO 500 (about 2 years).  So the USB drivers on the CD are pre Win2K and XP, so you will get the "not digitally signed" warning.  Ignore and and you will be fine.  Goes to show you how universal USB is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up