INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC18 DVD rips not always successful  (Read 3405 times)

eti

• Recent member
MC18 DVD rips not always successful
« on: April 04, 2013, 03:21:02 pm »

I have an XP machine and (2) Win7 machines running JRiver 18.0.158 and AnyDVD 7.1.7.0 and I am still having issues with DVD ripping ... sometimes they rip and sometimes they don't! HELP!! CD and Blu-Ray ripping do not seem to have issues!

Add-on: I am a new JRiver user and I am having problems ripping DVD's. I am using Any DVD HD, my first rip was a Blu-ray, no problem. My next two were DVD's, no problem. Since then 3 out of 4 (different DVD'), attempts resulted in DVD Failure after it got to 80% to 98% complete. We tried slowing down to 4x, it didn't help. Please help!

eti

• Recent member
MC18 DVD rips not always successful
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 10:15:01 am »

I have an XP machine and (2) Win7 machines running JRiver 18.0.158 and AnyDVD 7.1.7.0 and I am still having issues with DVD ripping ... sometimes they rip and sometimes they don't! HELP!! CD and Blu-Ray ripping do not seem to have issues!

Add-on: I am a new JRiver user and I am having problems ripping DVD's. I am using Any DVD HD, my first rip was a Blu-ray, no problem. My next two were DVD's, no problem. Since then 3 out of 4 (different DVD'), attempts resulted in DVD Failure after it got to 80% to 98% complete. We tried slowing down to 4x, it didn't help. Please help!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC18 DVD rips not always successful
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 10:56:28 am »

I can't reproduce this here.  Is anyone else having DVD rip issues?

Were previous builds working?

I wonder if XP could be a relevant factor?

(ps. to bump a thread, please post a bump in the original thread instead of starting a new duplicate thread)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 11:18:32 am »

I can't reproduce this here.  Is anyone else having DVD rip issues?

Were previous builds working?

I wonder if XP could be a relevant factor?

I don't use MC to rip DVDs (I don't have any to rip, really), but I did have that odd issue where MC refused to play the particular disc...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

eti

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 11:38:46 am »

Thanks for the info Matt ... I am having the same issues on Win7 machine as XP machine. I see sometimes that windows or ANYDVD does not recognize the DVD that I put in. I also realize that JRiver will not update to the new DVD that i am ripping. JRiver will just sit there and it does not know that a new DVD has been put in the tray. So the old Metadata from previous DVD will still be there and it could get inbedded in the new DVD if one is not careful. I also realized that sometimes JRiver will see the DVD title as "DVD Video" ... so I have to retype the title and then go search for Metadata. Is there some issue possibly with Windows not seeing the DVD properly? I have seen this issue in the past with DVD's, data discs, and CD discs. In the past I would just reinsert the disc and usually windows would see it properly. The real reason i need JRiver and ANYDVD to perform to near perfect as far as ripping goes is that we (Entertainment Technology) are getting into the HTPC market and we need a product that will perform flawlessly as possible for the consumer! Thanks for any info!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 01:38:31 pm »

I see sometimes that windows or ANYDVD does not recognize the DVD that I put in.

If Windows and AnyDVD are having problems, I wonder if there might be a drive problem?  Or some security software causing troubles?

We tested a few computers here (including an XP one), and haven't reproduced a problem yet.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 02:22:38 pm »

Does the DVD rip Ok using Any DVD?
If you provide the titles of ones that don't work, we can try to test it here.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

eti

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 04:13:05 pm »

It is now 5 days later and I finally have a chance to respond to some of the answers. Yes, i can always successfully rip DVD's using ANYDVD software. This is a good thing! Still have trouble getting JRiver to rip certain DVD's. Two that come to mind are Will Smith's "Hancock" and "The Pursuit Of Happyness". Both of these would rip by JRiver and fail at 90+%. I tried ripping with microsoft security essentials closed (no virus program running) and they still failed at 90+%. These DVD's failed under my Win7 machine. I did read on the web that some people were having trouble ripping "Hancock". I did not see if anybody was having issues with ripping "Pursuit of Happyness". I have been successful by rebooting computer ... clearing memory ... on ripping the DVD's I was having trouble with except the previous 2 i just mentioned. I had to finally rip these 2 with ANYDVD. Could it be that JRiver and Windows just get confused during a session of ripping and that an old fashion reboot always does the trick?

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 11:40:42 am »

I finally got hold of one of those DVD's ("The Pursuit of Happyness") and it ripped Ok with Media Center build 173.

I have AnyDVD 7.1.20 installed, which version is yours?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

justplainmike

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 09:14:58 am »

Hi,

New forum member here.  Currently doing a trial of MC18 now.  Having the same problem with ripping DVDs.  Also using AnyDVD HD.  Latest version of MC18.  Brand new PC I put together as an HTPC.  I was able to rip 2 bluray moviest with not problem.  When I went to rip a DVD it failed immediately.  I've tried it with multiple discs that I know have ripped in the past.  Any help would be appreciated.  Otherwise, loving this great piece of software!!

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up