INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does Restore Library - always restore two libraries (at least in my case)  (Read 1026 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

Q: (for DEV) - Why is it when I backup a specific library on my work PC - let's call it "Main"...and back it up to it's own unique filename etc etc - then "restore" that specific backup to another PC - the restore sets up ANOTHER library on the target PC - called Mobile (in my case).

Main and Mobile on my work PC - are two separate libraries (or so I thought). And I thought I was backing up changes to just Main when I do File->Library->Backup Library. And the same goes for Mobile. When I have that one loaded - I do the same - but I suspect if I tried to "restore" Mobile to another PC - it would bring along Main for the ride too....

For the life of me - I cannot just get "Main" to restore on it's own. WHich I really want in this pending move to our new HTPC

Ideas on why this might be?

VP

glynor

• MC Beta Team

When you set up a Library in MC, this configuration is stored in the "settings" (in the Registry).  Not the contents of the Library itself, but the fact that it exists, where it is on disk, how many there are, and in what "order" in the Library manager.

When you restore the Settings during a Library Restore, it also includes these configured Libraries (so, they show back up under Playing Now in the tree).  It doesn't restore the contents of those Libraries, just the "link" to them in the Library Manager.

This is convenient (because it restores links to network libraries, for example).  If you don't want them on the newly restored machine, just delete them from the Library Manager.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Vocalpoint

When you set up a Library in MC, this configuration is stored in the "settings" (in the Registry).  Not the contents of the Library itself, but the fact that it exists, where it is on disk, how many there are, and in what "order" in the Library manager.

When you restore the Settings during a Library Restore, it also includes these configured Libraries (so, they show back up under Playing Now in the tree).  It doesn't restore the contents of those Libraries, just the "link" to them in the Library Manager.

This is convenient (because it restores links to network libraries, for example).  If you don't want them on the newly restored machine, just delete them from the Library Manager.

Understood. Will just remove the reference on the HTPC when I make the move.

Cheers,

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up