INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WASAPI Problems Fixed in 18.0.193 and above -- Please Report Any Here  (Read 43471 times)

Mr Smeee

Re: WASAPI Problems Fixed in 18.0.193 and above -- Please Report Any Here
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2013, 08:39:29 pm »

Re: my earlier post - my problems with WASAPI 'appear' to be related to using the automatic bit depth with the Bifrost. Setting bitdepth manually to match the .wav seems to work - more testing will be needed by me to confirm fully.

dd6

• Recent member
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2013, 05:32:58 am »

But my real point of posting was to say that WASAPI and .195 MC gives clicks and scratches for me when used with standard USB1.0 drivers and redbook material.
I do also have this issue, JRiver 194, Windows 8 (64) native or DAC drivers (Grace Design m903), WASAPI Event Style. For me it's important to use USB 1.0. You can not assume, that everyone uses USB 2.0 ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2013, 06:53:58 am »

Please re-read the first post.  It can't be the version of USB.

dd6

• Recent member
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2013, 07:02:19 am »

Please re-read the first post.  It can't be the version of USB.
Yes, exactly speaking: USB Audio Class 1 over USB 1.1 vs USB Audio Class 2 over USB 2.0. I know it.

So: I have issues using USB Audio Class 1 over USB 1.1

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2013, 01:31:28 pm »

I do also have this issue, JRiver 194, Windows 8 (64) native or DAC drivers (Grace Design m903), WASAPI Event Style. For me it's important to use USB 1.0. You can not assume, that everyone uses USB 2.0 ?
Try changing the buffer size. Sometimes larger values work best, sometimes smaller values.

With my Benchmark DAC2-HGC, only 25ms seems to work correctly when using USB 1.1.
Sending audio over HDMI via my Nvidia graphics card, it doesn't seem to matter what size the WASAPI buffer size is. (but small buffers may have pops and clicks with high CPU usage)

sgrowan

• Recent member
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2013, 02:41:22 pm »

I have JRiver set to auto update and most recent. The sound has definitely changed with the very latest, 180201. I went back two updates to 180194 and the effortless sound quality is there again and no more noise. 180201 has harsh hi frequencies and sounds very digital to me. Something has definitely changed for the worse. I'm a beta tester for PS Audio and several others have remarked on the difference. The earlier version is so much more liquid and powerful.
Steven

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2013, 03:37:02 pm »

Try changing the WASAPI settings.

sgrowan

• Recent member
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2013, 04:10:08 pm »

Hi,
To what? I tried both Wasapi and kernal streaming. Both sounded equally different and bad in latest version.
Thanks,
Steven

Snix

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2013, 06:54:21 pm »

I am having trouble viewing Fuji raw RAF image files from my Fuji X10 camera, it seems they are not supported in JRiver V18, last several versions since I bought it. How do I get them working, is there a way to use a different RAW viewing engine (Outside of JRiver I use FastPictureViewer which will display just about every image format known...)? Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2013, 02:51:03 pm »

I am having trouble viewing Fuji raw RAF image files from my Fuji X10 camera, it seems they are not supported in JRiver V18, last several versions since I bought it. How do I get them working, is there a way to use a different RAW viewing engine (Outside of JRiver I use FastPictureViewer which will display just about every image format known...)? Thanks.

I think we may switch to this for RAW decoding at some point:
http://www.libraw.org/

However, I'm not sure when.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Simon Chick

• Recent member
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2013, 09:28:07 am »

EDIT. It is now back to normal. I switched the Ayre to USB 2 and loaded their driver, and it didn't work. I shut down then restarted the PC and then it did all work. phew!!!!

Ayre QB-9 USB DAC, Win 7 64 bit, MC18.0.206, drivers for 192 not loaded.

I was away last week and the PC and indeed whole system was off. I think when I first turned on the PC and ran MC it installed an update, before I played anything. Then when I tried to play (using a dCS Debussy at the time) everything appeared to be working, sound meters bouncing up and down, blue light for direct came on, sample rate indicators changed on DAC according to selected music but no sound. I isolated a problem in the DAC (at least I thought I did), so switched to the Ayre DAC, but still have exactly the same symptoms. Other programs play sound and so will MC if I select Direct Sound, but no sound at all from WASAPI.

What has happened while I was away??!! More importantly, what do I need to do about it? I have tried just about every combination of settings, but they ether make no difference or produce an error message that the format cannot be played.
NAS > noiseless PC > Ayre QB-9 USB DAC > Ayre KX-R pre-amp > Ayre MX-R monoblocs > Dynaudio Confidence C4 Signatures
Chord Sarum interconnects and speaker cables
Missing Link Opus, MCRU Ultimate and Transparent Reference Powerlink power cables
PS Audio P10 Power Plant. Sonority isolation platforms.

Acrobat1977

• Recent member
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2013, 12:41:16 pm »

Dear JRiver,

MC doesn't seem to 'release' the exclusive lock on the soundcard when I press pause or stop in WASAPI Exclusive Mode.

Exclusive mode is important for me as I want to have bitperfect streaming for my CD Rips and high res downloads. However for casual listening I also use Spotify installed on the same PC which is a headless PC so has no keyboard/mouse/screen connected to it. I remote control both Spotify (using Remoteless) and JRiver (using JRemote) both installed apps on my iPad.

When JRiver starts after a reboot of the PC I can use the Spotify client but after playing a song in JRiver I have to close/shutdown JRiver first before I can use Spotify.

I'm using the official Spotify client, most recent version and MC 18.0.206. Both are installed on a Windows 8 Pro 64 bit PC.

I've set the pause and stop commands to 'immediately' but this has no effect.

As I am a new user I'm not sure if it's a bug (although I did read on the forum 'stop' should the release the lock) or if I need to make a feature request but I hope you can help me.

Thank you in advance for any response!

Best regards,

Antoine.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2013, 12:42:39 pm »

Exclusive mode means that one program has total control of the interface.  That's how it works.

Acrobat1977

• Recent member
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2013, 12:45:47 pm »

Exclusive mode means that one program has total control of the interface.  That's how it works.

Thank you JimH for your very quick reply! I fully understand this but when I press 'pause' or 'stop' shouldn't the program release the exclusive lock and try to reacquire it when I press 'play' again? When I start MC it also doesn't immediately acquire the lock. I does so only after I start playing a song.

Best regards,

Antoine.

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2013, 08:39:12 pm »

Media Center (or any player) won't take exclusive control over the device unless it's playing audio.
Pausing does not stop playback and release the device - it plays silence.

WASAPI Exclusive not working as you would hope is not a problem exclusive to Media Center. No matter what I have used in exclusive mode, I have always run into a situation where it is necessary to re-open another piece of software (often a web browser playing a video) after stopping exclusive playback somewhere else.

In my experience, WASAPI Event Style is significantly better for this. It is far rarer that I have to re-open other software after WASAPI playback has stopped when using Event Style.
If you stop exclusive playback and the Spotify app is unable to play audio until it is restarted, it's an issue with Spotify.

The other option is, of course, to use a non-exclusive output. This requires you to resample everything to the current mixer settings though. (or switch to DirectSound, which lets the Windows Mixer handle it)

Acrobat1977

• Recent member
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2013, 06:48:15 am »

Thank you 6233638 for your reply. After reading the Wiki on WASAPI on the JRiver site I now understand that pause indeed plays silence. However MC doesn't release it's exclusive lock on the soundcard when I press stop as well. Other programs like Foobar do. I really have to shut down MC first before I can use Spotify, if I don't Spotify will fail. I am using the WASAPI Event Style setting in 18.0.206 (so haven't disabled that option).

Actually I don't want to use the non-exclusive output as I'd like to play back my music (CD Rips and high res downloads) bitperfect and in it's original bitdepth and sample frequency.

On another forum I wrote about the issue and someone confirmed this behaviour of MC and offered me two possible workarounds (use the livestream/WASAPI loopback option for Spotify or create a dummy playback zone to which I have to switch first so that MC will release the exclusive lock) that I will test later but these are still workarounds that require additional actions. So I would prefer if MC would just release it's exclusive lock on 'stop' like other programs do.

@JRiver, would you care to comment on this one more time and share your views/possible options? If you do thank you in advance! :)

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2013, 07:18:54 am »

Thank you 6233638 for your reply. After reading the Wiki on WASAPI on the JRiver site I now understand that pause indeed plays silence. However MC doesn't release it's exclusive lock on the soundcard when I press stop as well. Other programs like Foobar do. I really have to shut down MC first before I can use Spotify, if I don't Spotify will fail. I am using the WASAPI Event Style setting in 18.0.206 (so haven't disabled that option).
Try disabling Event Style and see if that helps at all.

So I would prefer if MC would just release it's exclusive lock on 'stop' like other programs do.
It should be doing that, but maybe you can create a log and see if that helps. (Help > Logging, and then email the file it creates on your desktop to logs [at] jriver.com)

Windows can get a bit "confused" when dealing with this sort of thing in my experience though. (not a problem exclusive to Media Center)
In my setup, I actually have two sound devices in use - HDMI to my display, and USB to my DAC.
The HDMI output is the Windows default, so that nothing is trying to send audio to my DAC except Media Center.

However to watch a video in my web browser, I have to switch the default device over to the DAC.
Nine times out of ten, it works correctly, the other time I have to quit the browser and re-open it to get sound sent to the DAC.
Loopback isn't an option for video playback because there's too much latency, so sound is very out of sync.

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2013, 09:27:44 pm »

I originally posted this issue in the TV tuner section but I think it belongs here.

I am using MC 18 with WASAPI (not-event) and HDMI bit streaming.
The data format is 24-bit in a 32-bit package.

After watching TV programming and listening to music, Amazon streaming fails.

When I load a file from Amazon with Chrome, one of two things happens:
1) Audio is not decoded and the bitstream sends noise through my speakers.
2) Amazon reports a playback error and does not even play the file.

This error occurred with MC 18 loaded and remained even when I shut it down.
However, after playing a TV show with Windows Media Center, everything works fine.
HTPC - Windows 10 64-bit Intel i5, Nvidia GTX 1650 4GB

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2013, 04:06:43 pm »

A second problem has just occurred on my system with .206.

I have a playlist with several different file formats. Most songs are 24/48 stereo WMA and play just fine. However I also included some 24/48 6 channel FLAC files and those don't play. I see a spinning "star" on the screen and the bit rate of the file (viewed from JRemote) fluctuates between 1700 and 2100. There is audio but it is very garbled. The FLAC files played just fine when I first installed MC a few days ago.

Once this happens I can't even play the same WMA files through WMC or foobar. The sound is garbled just like it was for FLAC files through MC. Unloading MC does not help either. After reloading MC, the FLAC files are still garbled but I can play the WMA files as usual.

I believe my Internet connection is working just fine.

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2013, 10:43:32 pm »

I played around with bit streaming options but could not get WASAPI to work. Then I switched to ASIO (using ASIO4ALL) and the 6 channel files played perfectly. I switched backed to WASAPI and now they are playing fine in that mode as well.

yeehc

Since the update WASAPI to start,There is no good used of WASAPI.I did not get anything useful from the Administrator Help.The answer is only a problem on your setup.Now the question:

WASAPI Mode:Right speaker no sound,Pause Noise appears on the right speaker.Replaced direct sound everything is normal.The problem is obviously WASAPI.

Sound Card:VIA  VT2021
Drive:1700
System:windows 7 64bit SP1

I have having the exact same problem, except I am using a Bifrost DAC connected by optical cable. Currently running 18.0.209.Any fix?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2013, 10:08:39 pm »

Try the WASAPI settings.

Acrobat1977

• Recent member
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2013, 08:06:22 am »

Actually I don't want to use the non-exclusive output as I'd like to play back my music (CD Rips and high res downloads) bitperfect and in it's original bitdepth and sample frequency.

On another forum I wrote about the issue and someone confirmed this behaviour of MC and offered me two possible workarounds (use the livestream/WASAPI loopback option for Spotify or create a dummy playback zone to which I have to switch first so that MC will release the exclusive lock) that I will test later but these are still workarounds that require additional actions. So I would prefer if MC would just release it's exclusive lock on 'stop' like other programs do.

@JRiver, would you care to comment on this one more time and share your views/possible options? If you do thank you in advance! :)

Dear JRiver, would you please comment on my post above? I have already paid $50 for MC and received a license valid for both MC 18 and 19. Will 19 exhibit this same behaviour?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2013, 08:26:32 am »

Using stop should release the sound card.  But WASAPI exclusive is meant to be exclusive.  You can set it to be non-exclusive if that's what you want.

Acrobat1977

• Recent member
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2013, 08:33:46 am »

Thank you Jim, it doesn't release the soundcard when pressing 'stop' so I guess this is a bug. Could this be "fixed" after maybe you guys first confirm this behaviour in combination with Spotify? I want to keep using exclusive mode (bit perfect playback). With Foobar it does work but I like MC more.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2013, 03:50:08 pm »

please help!

just installed mc18 on a 19 license.  windows 7.  anyways, everything was fine with mc17, but now mc18 won't play anything!  the only mode that works is direct, when before i was WASAPI event style

i've tried everything i read in this thread, but nothing is helping.  the files are "playing" but i can't hear anything!

EDIT:  if i uncheck "exclusive access" then it plays over my hi-fi (optical) and my DAC (usb).  i want exclusive access, but at least WASAPI is working...i can live with this for now but i really appreciate any thoughts on this

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2013, 04:34:44 pm »

Have you tried disabling Event Style for WASAPI?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2013, 04:39:17 pm »

yup, tried everything.  the ONLY way WASAPI will play anything is with exclusive access disabled.  otherwise no sound, no matter whether i use my onboard or my DAC

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2013, 04:58:32 pm »

yup, tried everything.  the ONLY way WASAPI will play anything is with exclusive access disabled.  otherwise no sound, no matter whether i use my onboard or my DAC
Hmm, I'm not sure what it could be then if you have tried all the WASAPI output options. (e.g. setting it to output 16-bit only)

You were definitely using WASAPI Exclusive in MC17, and exclusive access is enabled in the Windows control panel for that device?
What output format is Windows set to? I seem to recall that some hardware requires you to set it to the maximum supported output for this to work correctly.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2013, 05:08:18 pm »

Hmm, I'm not sure what it could be then if you have tried all the WASAPI output options. (e.g. setting it to output 16-bit only)

You were definitely using WASAPI Exclusive in MC17, and exclusive access is enabled in the Windows control panel for that device?
What output format is Windows set to? I seem to recall that some hardware requires you to set it to the maximum supported output for this to work correctly.

yup, exclusive before.
hardware settings are exactly what they were with mc17 (my card and DAC support 24/96 so everything is set here, worked fine with 17).  i have played around with all the settings both hardware and MC18 and the only way i can get sound through WASAPI is by not allowing exclusive access. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2013, 05:22:19 pm »

Event style is now the default.  Please confirm that you tried disabling Event Style.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2013, 06:02:13 pm »

Event style is now the default.  Please confirm that you tried disabling Event Style.
First thing I tried was disabling event style, no dice

I've now spent several hours going through settings and I believe I've hit almost every permutation of hardware / software options possible

If I turn off exclusive access, the sound will play at a very wide range of other options (output formats etc) but with it enabled it will never play regardless of other settings.  Seems odd I know...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2013, 06:03:28 pm »

Maybe another program also has exclusive access.  That won't work.

yeehc

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2013, 08:30:00 pm »

I have tried all the option in WASAPI setting, disable event style, changing bitdepth, buffering, even reinstalling . The problem remain the same, whenever i pause or skip tracks, i can only hear white noise from the right speaker. This didnt happen to me when i was using the MC18 trial few months ago. And i just purchased the license for MC19..

yeehc

« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2013, 10:13:43 pm »

ok so i found Mr Smeee's solution works as I also have a non-usb Bifrost. Most of my source are flac ripped from CD, however I tried playing some 24 96 WAV using 16 bit integer and it plays effortlessly, strange.

nan

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2013, 07:35:14 am »

Feedback

rdsu

• Recent member
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2013, 06:52:06 pm »

With JRiver 18.0.212 on Windows Server 2012 WASAPI is not working.

The song start playing but I can't get any sound.

Already tried to uncheck "Disable event style..."

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2013, 07:00:23 pm »

Does any sound work?  DirectSound?

Try Control Panel/Sounds and see if you can learn anything.

rdsu

• Recent member
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2013, 07:05:34 pm »

DirectSound and KS worked fine...

I tried with foobar2000 and also worked...

andres

« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2013, 06:29:09 pm »

Hi

I'm having a problem with 5.1 audio and movies. back channels (L and R) are muted when WASAPI is used.
I've tried changing event style and bitdepth and always get the same result (some bitdepths doesn't work at all but that's normal).

Audio path shows:
Input: 96KHz 24 bit 6ch from source format FLAC
Changes: No changes are being made
Output: 96KHz 24 bit (padded) 6ch using WASAPI (direct connection)

I'm using MC 18.0.212
Sound Card: IDT 92HD73C1
Receiver Denon AVR-789

Same 5.1 audio file with Foobar + Wasapi works fine
Same 5.1 audio file with MC + Direct Sound works fine

rdsu

• Recent member
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2013, 05:40:39 am »

With JRiver 18.0.212 on Windows Server 2012 WASAPI is not working.

The song start playing but I can't get any sound.

Already tried to uncheck "Disable event style..."

DirectSound and KS worked fine...

I tried with foobar2000 and also worked...

Any help?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2013, 09:20:59 am »

If WASAPI is set to exclusive in another program, it won't work for a second program.

rdsu

• Recent member
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2013, 09:24:17 am »

If WASAPI is set to exclusive in another program, it won't work for a second program.
I only tried foobar2000 after... ;)

This is an issue with JRiver...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2013, 09:33:01 am »

I know of no current MC problems with WASAPI.  Maybe foobar is set to use exclusive.

rdsu

• Recent member
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2013, 09:36:08 am »

I know of no current MC problems with WASAPI.  Maybe foobar is set to use exclusive.
As I said, I tried KS, DS and WASAPI before tried with foobar2000 portable, and only WASAPI didn't work...

I also removed foobar2000 and the issue continues...

andres

« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2013, 09:42:17 am »

Hi guys

Any idea what causes this problem?
I'd really like to get wasapi working  :)

Thanks

Hi

I'm having a problem with 5.1 audio and movies. back channels (L and R) are muted when WASAPI is used.
I've tried changing event style and bitdepth and always get the same result (some bitdepths doesn't work at all but that's normal).

Audio path shows:
Input: 96KHz 24 bit 6ch from source format FLAC
Changes: No changes are being made
Output: 96KHz 24 bit (padded) 6ch using WASAPI (direct connection)

I'm using MC 18.0.212
Sound Card: IDT 92HD73C1
Receiver Denon AVR-789

Same 5.1 audio file with Foobar + Wasapi works fine
Same 5.1 audio file with MC + Direct Sound works fine

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2013, 10:03:51 am »

As I said, I tried KS, DS and WASAPI before tried with foobar2000 portable, and only WASAPI didn't work...

I also removed foobar2000 and the issue continues...
The problem program could be MC18 or any other software that accesses the sound card.

andres

« Reply #97 on: September 02, 2013, 09:38:23 am »

Given there doesn't seem to be a solution to my problem I'd like to install a version that doesn't have the new wasapi implementation.

Could somebody post the link to the last version before 18.0.193.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: September 02, 2013, 10:31:29 am »

There was no change to WASAPI that could cause this in the latest build.

The terminology did change, so that what was "WASAPI Event Style" is now just WASAPI.  If you used the old "WASAPI", you might need to set the option to "Disable Event Style".

rdsu

• Recent member
« Reply #99 on: September 02, 2013, 11:58:20 am »

I still can't use WASAPI....
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up