INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RTMPE, STDIN, and Custom External Programs  (Read 2143 times)

drhyoung

• Recent member
RTMPE, STDIN, and Custom External Programs
« on: June 03, 2013, 05:28:12 pm »

Hi,

Unfortunately one of our radio stations - for some very unknown reason - changed to using the RTMPE protocol. Thankfully rtmpdump came to the rescue.

I'm not sure I have the best solution, so some of the expertise on the forum would be appreciated.

Implementing rtmpdump with MC18 gave me two challenges:
(1) rtmpdump can stream to STDOUT, in my case FLV. But I had to use VLC to receive it. VLC then outputs to the Windows default soundcard which I then have MC18 use live://loopback to pick up.
Does MC18 support piping FLV directly to STDIN ? If it does, how do I "play" it ?
(2) I was hoping to solve my problem by having a two-track PlayList, with the first track invoking a custom external program, a .CMD file and the START command, that in turn invoked my rtmpdump streaming to the Windows default soundcard. After the START command, the .CMD file exited and I was expecting that control would return to the playlist to play the 2nd track which was live://loopback . But I found that control didn't return to MC18, so live://loopback never played. Is there anything I need to do to force the .CMD to return control to MC18 ?

Thanks,
David

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: RTMPE, STDIN, and Custom External Programs
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:36:55 pm »

Could you share a sample RTMPE URL that you're providing to rtmpdump?  Include all the parameters if possible.

We might be able to get it playing natively in MC.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

drhyoung

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:40:25 pm »

Thanks (and fingers crossed).

This is the URL:
RTMPE://live-geo.mediaworks.co.nz/live/morefmwellington_64kbps

And the full command line is:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\rtmpdump.exe" -r RTMPE://live-geo.mediaworks.co.nz/live/morefmwellington_64kbps --buffer 72000000 --realtime | "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" - -Incurse

If I change the protocol to RTMP then MC18 will sometimes play it natively, but only after a 1-2 minute delay.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:09:18 am »

That link does play natively for me, although it takes a while to get going.

I used MC > File > Open URL... with this URL:
RTMPE://live-geo.mediaworks.co.nz/live/morefmwellington_64kbps

To open the RTMP stream takes around 5 seconds.  Then, it takes LAV Splitter / Decoder a while to read enough data to let playback begin.  Sometimes streams are a challenge for a parser because they only provide data at a real-time data rate, so reading ahead something that seems conservative like 1MB could take a long time on a low bitrate realtime stream.

I'll send this thread to nevcairiel (author of LAV) just to see if he has any thoughts on the startup time.

Here's the playback graph:
Code: [Select]
Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
        CLSID: {A4002F8E-510F-442C-8AD3-F9C7B23FB394}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {E8E73B6B-4CB3-44A4-BE99-4F7BCB96E491}
        Host: C:\Users\Main\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\lav\LAVAudio.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {53544441-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Audio' of filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {53544441-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'

Filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {171252A0-8820-4AFE-9DF8-5C92B2D66B04}
        Host: c:\program files (x86)\lav filters\lavsplitter.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Reader Source Filter'
            Major type TIME_FORMAT_NONE  Sub type TIME_FORMAT_NONE, Format type TIME_FORMAT_NONE
        Output Pin 'Audio'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'

Filter 'JRiver Reader Source Filter'
        CLSID: {25FF55CB-CE77-4F64-A9D2-CA89BA57E8A5}
        Host:
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
            Major type TIME_FORMAT_NONE  Sub type TIME_FORMAT_NONE, Format type TIME_FORMAT_NONE
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

drhyoung

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 03:51:39 pm »

Hi Matt,

thanks for this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up