INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Servers - Difference between Original mode and 24 bit PCM  (Read 4557 times)

zkeller

• Recent member

I would like the absolute best audiophile output to my DLNA DAC.

In "DLNA Servers", is it better to set MODE to "Original", or to "Specified format" and say 24 bit PCM (as in Audiophile 24-bit DAC profile)?

Thanks a lot for explaining.
Zane

-JK-

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: DLNA Servers - Difference between Original mode and 24 bit PCM
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 01:41:48 pm »

In "Original" mode your receiver has to be able to decode the format you're trying to send (e.g. FLAC). As not all receivers are capable of doing this it's safer to go the PCM route, but if you're sure that it can decode FLAC you can use the "Original" mode as well (and if you're not sure just give it a try ;-)). I don't think that it makes much of a difference in terms of audio quality though, but there is the advantage of the lower bitrate of FLAC (especially over WLAN).

zkeller

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 12:41:02 am »

Thanks for the info JK.

One of the issues with computer based music is jitter i.e. the clocking of the data to the DAC. Would I be correct in saying that sending FLAC to the DAC allows it to handle the clocking internally and reduce jitter?

-JK-

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 07:07:57 am »

I guess it would depend on whether your clients buffer size is set large enough. With a small buffer size dropouts could even get worse, I suppose, but yes, in theory jitter should decrease.

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 07:50:15 am »

One of the issues with computer based music is jitter i.e. the clocking of the data to the DAC. Would I be correct in saying that sending FLAC to the DAC allows it to handle the clocking internally and reduce jitter?
No.
You are streaming. This is filling a big buffer in memory just like reading data from any other storage medium
The DAC clocks its data out of this buffer.
The protocol is asynchronous so you don’t have to deal with input jitter like in case of SPDIF or any other synchronous protocol.

zkeller

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 12:46:06 am »

Thanks Vincent.

Is this right: JRiver opens the FLAC file and sends the pure PCM data over the DLNA link to the DAC i.e. streaming. The DAC buffers the PCM data and as it extracts the data it has the job of ensuring that it clocks it through the conversion with minimal jitter.

Sending PCM instead of the whole file would relieve the DAC of having to do the reading of the file, but as you say, it is unlikely that would affect audio quality.

Thanks for your help.

Zane

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 05:38:14 am »

As -JK- pointed out, if you send PCM to the DAC, JRiver does the decoding.
Decoding is reading the file and translate its contents to something a DAC can understand (PCM)
As JRiver can decode alsmost any possible audio format, this is a good strategy.

-JK-

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 01:56:03 pm »

I just found this (but haven't read it yet):

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/WAV-FLAC.htm

-JK-

• Junior Woodchuck
Pages: [1]   Go Up