INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Output mode and impact on other applications  (Read 1385 times)

Brovig

• Recent member
Output mode and impact on other applications
« on: June 06, 2013, 03:54:22 pm »

I installed MC18 a few months ago on on both a desktop and laptop, both with Windows 7/64. I have Output mode set to WASAPI and in Windows audio I have Exclusive mode checked.

The sound through MC18 is terrific but whenever I play media through other applications - such as VideoLan VLC and any browser - the audio is quite distorted. I'm fairly confident that this came about after the MC18 installation.

So I'm wondering, is it possible that the MC18 setup has somehow changed the audio path for other applications, resulting in this distorted rendering?

Thanks for your trouble.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Output mode and impact on other applications
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 04:10:24 pm »

MC18 doesn't install any system hooks that change other programs.

While it's playing in exclusive mode, you won't be able to play with other programs.  But that's just the nature of exclusive output (which is optional with MC).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Brovig

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 05:19:54 pm »

Thanks, Matt. I understand about not being able to use other apps in exclusive mode, but I shut down MC18 before playback from other apps.

I just did a test with a short music video file that sounds awful when I play it in VLC, a generally accepted good media player. When I play it from MC18 it sounds perfect, with no distortion whatsoever!

Any idea what could be causing this?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 06:48:37 pm »

Perhaps your ears only heard good sound from a computer for the first time when you installed MC. Now regular PC audio sounds like... well...? :)

You know you can also play all your PC sound throught the MC engine with the loopback feature, right? I'm hoping this is made easier to implement and gets more publicity soon.

Brovig

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 12:12:05 am »

Perhaps your ears only heard good sound from a computer for the first time when you installed MC. Now regular PC audio sounds like... well...? :)

You know you can also play all your PC sound throught the MC engine with the loopback feature, right? I'm hoping this is made easier to implement and gets more publicity soon.

No, there was no mistaking - it was badly distorted. But I seem to have resolved it now. I uninstalled VLC completely, including preference settings, and installed a new copy. And this did the trick! No more distortion!

Thanks again for all your input.
Pages: [1]   Go Up