INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MKV playback quality is not good (compared to playing DVD)  (Read 12483 times)

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
MKV playback quality is not good (compared to playing DVD)
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:57:02 pm »

I've read from probably a dozen sources that MKV does not alter the video stream in any way. So, it seems like my MKV rips (made with MakeMkv) should not be the cause of the problem. But, playback of MKVs is noticeably worse than playback of the original DVD, optically, or playback of the DVD from a traditional .TS rip.

Specifically, the top of the frame is often jittery, and the whole thing just looks... muddy. Is it possible that MC doesn't know that it's interlaced, or something?

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: MKV playback quality is not good (compared to playing DVD)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 04:35:03 pm »

If you are using ROHQ you can look at the deinterlacing by displaying the Madvr OSD using CTRL J or check the mkv file using Mediainfo.
I have found an issue where MC18 does deinterlacing when the source is actually progressive and in mkv format, but correctly doesn't deinterlace when running from an actual DVD.
To work around I have exposed the LAV filters and set the deinterlace mode to Auto rather than Agressive for all files.
So it might be worth checking between your DVD and your mkv whether deinterlacing changes although I have never seen a marked deterioration in video quality from unnecessary deinterlacing- it just uses up GPU!

I have done lots of mkv rips using makemkv from my DVD collection and have never seen any deterioration in video quality when comparing original to rip.

Note: It is usually films on DVD that CAN be progressive rather than interlaced.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

sla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 03:29:13 am »

mkv is a format for video files. It could hold true quality blue-ray ot ot could hold files that are heavily compressed. how do you create mkv? It could be compressed?
JRiver on Silent/Fanless STREACOM FC5 EVO -> DSD through Firewire on Mytek 192 DSD -> CODA 05r pre/CODA 10.5 amp -> Sonics Amerigo Speakers

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 03:55:47 am »

Makemkv does not perform any compression when creating mkv files.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

sla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 07:39:57 am »

well, then it is either Video Card or TV, [Video Card not up-scaling / not being able to handle the resolution] or just different setting on TV input -> I assume all inputs could have different settings...
JRiver on Silent/Fanless STREACOM FC5 EVO -> DSD through Firewire on Mytek 192 DSD -> CODA 05r pre/CODA 10.5 amp -> Sonics Amerigo Speakers

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 11:38:59 am »

I just did a quick test.

I ripped a title from a DVD video with MakeMKV and compared it directly to the source format (VIDEO_TS rip).

This title is an old concert video clip and thus not of the highest possible DVD quality, but at least I did not notice any obvious playback or quality problems. Both formats were about equal.

On Windows 7 "MC18/Red October Standard" does not use the same MPEG-2 video decoder for these formats. For DVD/VIDEO_TS it uses the standard Microsoft decoder and when the same MPEG-2 video track is in the MKV container it uses the LAV decoder.

VIDEO_TS graph info:
Code: [Select]
Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
        CLSID: {A4002F8E-510F-442C-8AD3-F9C7B23FB394}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        CLSID: {FA10746C-9B63-4B6C-BC49-FC300EA5F256}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\evr.dll
        Input Pin 'EVR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Video Output 1' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_NV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'EVR Input1'
            Connected to pin 'XForm Out' of filter 'Line 21 Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_AYUV, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo
        Input Pin 'EVR Input2'
            Connected to pin '~Subpicture Output' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_AYUV, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2

Filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {E8E73B6B-4CB3-44A4-BE99-4F7BCB96E491}
        Host: C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\lav\LAVAudio.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DTS, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Line 21 Decoder'
        CLSID: {E4206432-01A1-4BEE-B3E1-3702C8EDC574}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'XForm In'
            Connected to pin '~Line21 Output' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_AUXLine21Data  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_Line21_GOPPacket, Format type FORMAT_None
        Output Pin 'XForm Out'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input1' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_AYUV, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo

Filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'AC3' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
        CLSID: {212690FB-83E5-4526-8FD7-74478B7939CD}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\msmpeg2vdec.dll
        Input Pin 'Video Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Input Pin 'Subpicture Input'
            Connected to pin 'SubPicture' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DVD_SUBPICTURE, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Video Output 1'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input0' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_NV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Output Pin '~Line21 Output'
            Connected to pin 'XForm In' of filter 'Line 21 Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_AUXLine21Data  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_Line21_GOPPacket, Format type FORMAT_None
        Output Pin '~Subpicture Output'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input2' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_AYUV, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2

Filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Video' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Video Input' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'

Filter 'DVD Navigator'
        CLSID: {9B8C4620-2C1A-11D0-8493-00A02438AD48}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\qdvd.dll
        Output Pin 'Video'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
        Output Pin 'AC3'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DTS, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'SubPicture'
            Connected to pin 'Subpicture Input' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DVD_SUBPICTURE, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO

MKV graph info:
Code: [Select]
Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
        CLSID: {A4002F8E-510F-442C-8AD3-F9C7B23FB394}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'

Filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        CLSID: {FA10746C-9B63-4B6C-BC49-FC300EA5F256}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\evr.dll
        Input Pin 'EVR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'
        Input Pin 'EVR Input1'

Filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {EE30215D-164F-4A92-A4EB-9D4C13390F9F}
        Host: C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\lav\LAVVideo.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input0' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'

Filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {E8E73B6B-4CB3-44A4-BE99-4F7BCB96E491}
        Host: C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\lav\LAVAudio.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {00002001-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'

Filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Video' of filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'

Filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Audio' of filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {00002001-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'

Filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {B98D13E7-55DB-4385-A33D-09FD1BA26338}
        Host: C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\lav\LAVSplitter.ax
        Output Pin 'Video'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
        Output Pin 'Audio'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'

I wonder if the LAV decoder can have problems with some specific MPEG-2 video type & hardware combinations (e.g. with interlaced content as the OP suspected.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 04:33:27 pm »

Further to AlexB's post I have checked playback using RO standard using the PAL DVD "Master and Commander" which is a progressive scan, the quality does appear to deteriorate for the Makemkv mkv rip- if the LAV filters interlacing settings are set for AUTO then the mkv rip and DVD appear identical. As far as I can tell anyway.

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 08:56:14 am »

Well I'm able to illustrate that MC is definitely handling the MKV differently than it handles the raw DVD. If I don't check "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" the MKV has a choppy frame rate in addition to its other problems.

But, I don't see a way to change how MC handles a particular type of video stream - I only see the ability to globally change ROSTD/ROHQ/Custom. So, I'm not really sure how to fix this.

One other thought - one of the main reasons I like MKV is that it only rips the main title stream and I don't have to go through a menu. Is there a way to achieve this through a traditional MC .TS rip? (Kind of like how it always handles Blu ray rips). That wouldn't solve the problem but it would at least avoid it. I'm not too attached to MKV.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 10:09:17 am »

I've seen the same thing, and reported it several times.  Usual response ends up being - 'why would you put MPG2 in an MKV?' as opposed to any real solution to the issue.  Personally I have found MC playback of DVD content ripped to MKV to be unusable on some machines (massive stuttering and audio sync issues) and OK on others.  Same content played directly from a DVD folder structure is fine on all machines.  You typically don't save that much space between full folder structure and MKV, so I finally just gave up went back to using full folder structure versions of my DVD's.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 11:33:35 am »

I'd like to ask a dumb question...

Using Red October is the default, but we can still point MC to our DirectShow filter of choice?

I used to use CoreAVC. Now I am getting strange stutters as described use Red Oct. High upthread:

"Well I'm able to illustrate that MC is definitely handling the MKV differently than it handles the raw DVD. If I don't check "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" the MKV has a choppy frame rate in addition to its other problems."

BUT only when I enable HA. I switched to Standard and it didn't help. Next time I notice it, I will run GSPOT on the file and see if it has MPG2.

Display adapters:
    AMD Radeon HD 6570 (driver 9.12.0.0)

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 05:59:18 pm »

I'd like to ask a dumb question...

Using Red October is the default, but we can still point MC to our DirectShow filter of choice?

I used to use CoreAVC. Now I am getting strange stutters as described use Red Oct. High upthread:

You can use other DirectShow filters by using Custom mode in Video settings- Start with either RO standard or ROHQ and then Add- in the case of CoreAVC -add Video decoder and select CoreAVC from drop down menu.

Of course as you know CoreAVC will only decode H.264, X.264, AVC1 or VSSH so if the file is Mpeg2 either the Microsoft or LAV filter will be used anyway.

The MKV playback problem would seem to be hardware/software combination issue- I don't see problems using this hardware/software:
Intel i5 processor, Optimus Intel3000/Nvidia GT540m graphics- either RO standard or ROHQ-MC18 Build 129 Windows 7 x64 SP1-
the only issue being (very) slight degradation if the file is deinterlaced when the scan is progressive as noted above in a previous post.

What are the hardware/software combinations where problems are seen?

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 08:36:49 pm »

Core i5-2520M w/ Intel HD3000

DVD from full disk structure plays fine.  Same content in an MKV container is unwatchable due to video stuttering and audio sync issues.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 07:50:04 pm »

I've done some tests using just the Intel part of my Optimus setup -so similar to Bartman's Core i5 and HD3000.
It is very interesting, using ROHQ Madvr is NOT deinterlacing interlaced DVDs, the OSD shows "unknown framerate" "deinterlacing off due to framerate".

Because there is no deinterlacing the HD3000 can display without any framedrops, when the MKV is played Madvr correctly determines the framerate and switches on deinterlacing- this results in 50 fps (from 25fps PAL source) and this then overloads the HD3000 gpu (97% utilisation) and frame drops and stuttering occur on the display. The situation is even worse if it is a 29.97 NTSC source as you get nearly 60fps trying to be rendered by the HD3000.

If I enable the Nvidia gpu Madvr correctly assesses the DVD framerate and switches on deinterlacing as it should and of course no more framedrops because the Nvidia gpu is providing all the grunt required whether for DVD or MKV rip.

So there definitely seems to be an issue with Intel graphics and ROHQ handling of DVD's compared to Nvidia.

In my view you can only run interlaced material on an Intel3000HD with the Madvr performance option " use half framerate for DXVA deinterlacing" in the rendering options.

Bartman can you try a test on your material with the Madvr "use half framerate for DXVA deinterlacing" option set to see if it cures the stuttering when playing mkv, also check using the Madvr OSD (ctrlJ) to see whether your DVD framerate is being correctly determined?

EDIT: Did some more poking around and the problem appears to be LAV filters Intel Quicksync decoding for DVD- if hardware acceleration is turned off then Madvr reports correct framerate and turns on deinterlacing.
I also exposed LAV filters in custom mode and verified that it is when quicksync HW acceleration is enabled that the "unknown framerate" appears in Madvr when playing back a DVD.
Playback of MKV rip is handled correctly.

Further tests with ROSTD show Interlaced and progressive DVD playback is handled correctly- EVR shows 50fps for interlaced and 25fps for progressive but playback of MKV rips of the same DVDs show that the progressive MKV rip is played back with deinterlacing (EVR shows 50fps instead of 25fps).
If I use ROSTD in custom mode and set LAV filters to AUTO deinterlacing (rather than agressive) then the progressive MKV rip shows 25fps in EVR.

I think it would be good if this issue was investigated further- it doesn't seem to be correct behaviour in the default RO implementations.

jkauff

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 01:17:26 am »

Check LAV Decoder settings to make sure MPEG-2 is enabled. It's not by default.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 01:19:46 am »

Check LAV Decoder settings to make sure MPEG-2 is enabled. It's not by default.

MC turns it on through Red October, if you use that.  If you are trying to replicate MC's behavior then, yes...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 04:05:37 am »

MPEG-2 is on by default. o.O
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 07:23:48 am »

MPEG-2 is on by default. o.O

Well, there you go.  :D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HiFiTubes

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 01:36:56 am »

Not sure this is related... never saw this ever but error while playing MKV, but didn't not affect playback with HA off or on.

GSPOT can't render it. I guess because I only have MC installed on the machine and no codec pack like CCCP. I will explore it later.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 06:24:49 pm »

Bartman can you try a test on your material with the Madvr "use half framerate for DXVA deinterlacing" option set to see if it cures the stuttering when playing mkv, also check using the Madvr OSD (ctrlJ) to see whether your DVD framerate is being correctly determined?

Been out of town.  Will test this out when I get a chance this week.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 02:01:57 am »

Thanks, I'm def. seeing issues with MKV playback that I have never noticed. Flashing screen at time, and a strange jerky action.

AMD Radeon HD 6570 (driver 9.12.0.0)
 Red Oct. HQ
 Windows 7 x64
 Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)

I run detached display for the kids in the other room (via HDMI) so I can work on MC in office, and I can't get the duration/status bar to show on the detached display.

Intel
You can use other DirectShow filters by using Custom mode in Video settings- Start with either RO standard or ROHQ and then Add- in the case of CoreAVC -add Video decoder and select CoreAVC from drop down menu.

Of course as you know CoreAVC will only decode H.264, X.264, AVC1 or VSSH so if the file is Mpeg2 either the Microsoft or LAV filter will be used anyway.

The MKV playback problem would seem to be hardware/software combination issue- I don't see problems using this hardware/software:
Intel i5 processor, Optimus Intel3000/Nvidia GT540m graphics- either RO standard or ROHQ-MC18 Build 129 Windows 7 x64 SP1-
the only issue being (very) slight degradation if the file is deinterlaced when the scan is progressive as noted above in a previous post.

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 08:12:37 am »

Have you tried unticking the HW acceleration? And what version do you use? There was a bug rel to 3000 that was resolved in v.18...136.

duskdrums

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 09:34:17 am »

Wanted to revive this thread for a minute to echo what terrym@nz said. It seems that when DVDs are ripped to MKV, MC18 using ROHQ is turning on deinterlacing even for ripped DVDs that are progressive and/or viewing the mkv as a "video" rather than "film." This results in what appears to be frame doubling and the jittery behavior most visible at the top and bottom edges. The # of "repeated frames" also keeps going up in the madvr OSD.

If you go to madvr settings and untick "automatically activate deinterlacing when needed" OR tick "disable automatic source type detection" and force film mode, this problem goes away.  For me that means I leave the interlace settings alone and force film mode the judder and the repeated frames go away.

I know there has been some discussion about whether Madvr or LAV is doing the deinterlacing under ROHQ. Is it possible there is double deinterlacing going on? Or that this is an error in madvr that could be solved by only doing deinterlacing in LAV? Given that i'm getting repeated frames rather than dropped frames, it doesn't seem like a hardware power problem, though maybe i don't understand the technical stuff enough to get why that would be.

Finally, terrym@nz, I have tried to check the "use half frame rate for DXVA deinterlacing" option in the madvr settings and this does not change the outcome.

Potentially helpful hardware/configuration information:
i3-2105
HD3000 graphics overclocked at 1400mhz
Hardware Acceleration ticked
VideoClock
All resolutions run at 60hz as i'm running a computer monitor that does not accept other refresh rates

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 10:11:16 am »

Wanted to revive this thread for a minute to echo what terrym@nz said. It seems that when DVDs are ripped to MKV, MC18 using ROHQ is turning on deinterlacing even for ripped DVDs that are progressive and/or viewing the mkv as a "video" rather than "film."
Does this still happen if you turn off hardware acceleration?

duskdrums

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 10:38:06 am »

yes.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 05:07:35 pm »

What IS the common thread here?

MKV is really bad on MC (I have been using MC since MC12). Crazy warbling, back and forth video effect.

VLC = no issues.

I'm using a Synology NAS; system can handle bandwidth and play native DSD. What gives?

Matt & Jim, please help, this is serious. Have tweaked all kinds of Video settings; HA n/off, Video Sync on/off.

I tried to use WAV vs. normal ASIO [Event Mode] and it actually got worse much to my surprise.

What can we do to help troubleshoot this?

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 05:29:07 pm »

What can we do to help troubleshoot this?
Can you upload a sample file? (mkvmerge should be able to split it to a smaller size)

HiFiTubes

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 02:54:36 am »

Sure, I'll get to it shortly. Thanks!

Trumpetguy

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 04:10:08 pm »

What IS the common thread here?

MKV is really bad on MC (I have been using MC since MC12). Crazy warbling, back and forth video effect.

VLC = no issues.

I am more than a bit puzzled about this statement. First, I may be bad on your computer with your files. But - stating that MC in general is treating MKVs in a bad way with poor results is not correct and should not be the conclusion of this or any thread. The results in my setup proves your statement wrong. No difference percieved from bd discs and ripps in mkvs. Not done any through testing on dvd vs dvd rips, but then again, not reacted on ripped dvds either. Never a hickup in the audio (as long as my hardware and drivers are correctly set up...). Please use terms like "MC behaves badly in my system" rather than just "MC is bad", unless you have evidence to prove something is erroneously implemented.

Neco

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 04:29:59 pm »

I tend to agree.

This sounds more like a local system problem, to do with incorrectly setup  filters/decoders  or improperly configured  MakeMKV

HiFiTubes

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 12:42:32 am »

I have not come to any conclusion; I'm confused why you would think that is what I stated.

I simply stated that MKV performance using JRMC18 on MY computer is sub-par.

This is across MANY MKV files, ripped properly, played back from local SSD, NAS, or USB3 drive.

I don't have hours and hours to troubleshoot, so I'm reporting observations in the hope that someone can point me in the right direction of what to try next.

Thanks for your patience since we are the troubleshooters of MC, don't get paid for it, and have day jobs.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 04:55:03 am »

My setup may be a little different than most. All my video settings are default execpt RED Oct is high, HA is on, and Audio Sync on. But I have tested with these settings at stock.

2 displays: 1 HDMI and 1 DVI

I use Detached Display and as of more testing today on another random MKV, I noticed the video stuttering/flickering (no audio artifacts) on my DVI-connected display when using Detached Display.

This lets me run one instance of MC, and have video on in living room while I can work in my office on MC tagging.

I will next test using Normal Full Screen.

*Note - using Detached Display gives no control bar option at top of screen whereas Full Screen Video Display does.

My AMD driver is current, and JMark score is 4966.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 08:50:15 am »

These two quotes state two different things:

and

I simply stated that MKV performance using JRMC18 on MY computer is sub-par.

This is across MANY MKV files, ripped properly, played back from local SSD, NAS, or USB3 drive.

I was simply commenting on how general statements can be dramatically misunderstood and misleading, especially if someone picks up bits and pieces of a discussion when browsing a thread.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2013, 02:36:55 pm »

Anyone still watching this thread?

Many MKV still stutter on MC, but when I switch to VLC, playback from NAS is perfect. I'm doing native sample rate to my USB Dac with newest beta version (for last 3 months).

Can I upload some samples for interested folks to test?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2013, 03:15:18 pm »

I regularly pull MKV video files from a NAS and haven't noticed any issue with the playback quality.

Feel free to upload some samples and I'll try them out when I get the chance.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2013, 03:53:45 pm »

I also have had no problems, playing files from external drives using ROST on a very humble pc with dual monitor/TV and DVI to HDMI. For the sake of accuracy, I should say I've noticed in MC an occasional very mild problem which is not evident in other players, but I haven't had much time to deal with it. It's not reproducible, in the sense that when I replay the same segment I don't see it again, but it is recurrent, since it appears every now and then in a variety of files. It might be attributed to my feeble JRMark. Could I call it stuttering? Possibly, but words are rather misleading...
Pages: [1]   Go Up