INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgraded last night... can't burn CD's now...  (Read 1907 times)

Duane

Upgraded last night... can't burn CD's now...
« on: March 25, 2002, 06:21:41 am »

Hi...

I've been using MJ for a looonnng time now, and last night opted to upgrade for the media editor capability.  But now, I can't burn discs, even though I've been burning them for months prior to the upgrade...

I use a Yamaha CDRW 16-10-40 on a AMD K6 450- based system with 384 MB of RAM.

I'm getting error messages like this:

MEDIA JUKEBOX caused an invalid page fault in
module NUCDR.OCX at 017f:029ebc41.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=017f EIP=029ebc41 EFLGS=00010216
EBX=00000170 SS=0187 ESP=03cffeac EBP=03cffed4
ECX=00001f46 DS=0187 ESI=02b50220 FS=3607
EDX=00000000 ES=0187 EDI=02a46000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
f3 ab 85 d2 74 06 88 07 47 4a 75 fa 8b 44 24 08
Stack dump:
0266fdd4 029d1851 02a45d18 00000000 00008000 02b50220 02a444f0 029d1d38 00000000 00000000 03cffef8 029d5706 02a195c8 00008000 02a195c8 02a443f8

HELP!!!

Duane

RE:Upgraded last night... can't burn CD's now...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2002, 06:22:48 am »

Windows 98B, by the way...

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2002, 06:28:01 am »

At what point in the burning process do you get the crash? Does it help to lower the burning speed?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Duane

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2002, 07:08:59 am »

I lowered thespeed to 10x, from 16, and it still malfunctions...

An interesting thing...  I just re- booted and when I got MJ back up, I selected the CDRW drive.  It had the "just- burned" disc in it, and showed all 12 selections, but each one was only about 30 seconds long.

I played the first one to see what would happen, and it sounded fine, but only lasted as long as the indicated 34 seconds said it would...

Duane

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2002, 07:53:50 am »

Now it's burning some complete selections, but stops mid- way through with the following error message:

'WRITE" command failed on drive 0:0:0

Read / Write error or bad medium detected
04h  00h  02h  03h  0Ch  0Ah

For the record... I'm using CD's that I bought 50 of, and I'm down to the last 10, having burned about 20 of without a problem (I gave 15 or so blanks to a friend) and now I've "scorched" 6 in a row.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2002, 08:04:07 am »

Duane

turn the test option on untill you get the problem fixed.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2002, 08:16:01 am »

I'm not sure what's causing the 30 second tracks.
Have all your previous successful burns with this cd writer been with Media Jukebox in trial mode? If so, they've all been at 2X speed, try burning (in test mode) a CD at 2X speed and see what happens. The only difference (for cd burning) between trial mode and the plus version is the burning speed.

Duane

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2002, 08:21:40 am »

Thanks...

I just set the "PRIORITY" to "high" and reduced the speed to 6x...

Then I tried to write and it crashed in the process...

VERY frustrating...

I've got some discs to get out and I'd use Adaptec to burn with (I deleted it from the hard drive months ago), but it only recognizes / converts MP3 files.

Why in the h*#$! would an "upgrade" interfere with a previously flawless writing of discs?

Duane

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2002, 08:23:42 am »

John:

Yes, all previous burns were prior to upgrade, so therefore in trial mode...

I'll try it again...

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2002, 08:28:39 am »

If you are using 7.2, try downloading and installing version 8.0 from another thread here.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

LCtheDJ

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2002, 08:29:36 am »

You didn't mention the versions of MJ you had before and upgraded to.

If the version you are using now is 8.0.xxx, you haven't upgraded, you've just volunteered to help debug a beta stage of software in developement and now you know why it needs debugging.

Any time you are reporting problems with software, it helps those responding to know which build you are using. Other information useful can be obtained by going to Help/System Info/Copy to clipboard, and paste the info here.

Duane

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2002, 10:24:14 am »

Version is 7.2.280...

No, it's not a beta version.  I did the beta thing with Netscape 6 for a while and found it... "unrewarding"...;o)

SO...  Now it's burned 2 CD's successfully, since the last entry, as a result, presumably, of dropping the speed to 2x. (I tried 4x, and it wouldn't "fly"...)

So, now the question is... What can I do to speed it up?

I tried the suggested web site for software compatibility, but the site appears to be down or non- functional...

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2002, 10:37:21 am »

Take a careful look at what other software is running in the background.  Could be interfering or slowing things down.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2002, 11:03:18 am »

I think we also talked about the more programs you run the more windows swap file you use this also slows down the system.

Reboot And Defrag If the swap file or the drive is fragmented it wil slow down the system.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JohnT

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2002, 11:13:50 am »

You can check the "cd burning tips" page under the help menu on this web page, or just look at this list copied from that page:

- Make sure nothing else is running while the burn is taking place. Turn off background programs like virus checkers and screen savers. Disable Adaptec's
DirectCD if that is running. Some power saving options may also kick in and cause problems.

- Increase the priority of the burning process to "High" (in CD Writer Settings).

- For the cache size (in CD Writer Settings), try "Auto" and then try "2 MB". Using too large a cache size may cause performance problems.

- Uncheck the "decode mp3 files directly to CD" option in CD Writer Settings. Some systems aren't fast enough to handle decoding the mp3 data and burning at the same time.

- In Windows device manager, turn off DMA mode and "auto-insert" notification. See the question "What are the optimum device settings for burning?" for details.

- Run "defag" on your hard drive. Sometimes a severely fragmented drive can slow data transfer considerably. Defrag is a Windows tool usually found in "Accessories/System tools". If the defrag process keeps restarting every few seconds, this could be the cause of the CD burning failures: something is writing to the disk periodically. Possible culprits are virus checkers, backup programs, virtual memory settings that cause swapping, network activity, background downloads of data or faxes.

- A utility included with Microsoft Office, called "FindFast", will occasionally start up and scan your hard drives. Disabling this by deleting the shortcut in the Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp folder may be necessary. Also disable "Goback" if you have that running.

- If you have an IDE burner (most burners are IDE), it's best to have it as the "master" device on it's own IDE channel. Especially avoid having it share a channel with the hard drive you are burning data from! If you have a SCSI burner, you may have to put it on a separate controller for optimum results.

- Try a different disk or a different brand of media. The disk may be scratched or of poor quality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up