INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC File Splitter/Cutter  (Read 9543 times)

Humbledore

• Galactic Citizen
FLAC File Splitter/Cutter
« on: July 15, 2015, 04:25:02 am »

Hi,
I am looking for an audio splitter/cutter software for FLAC files (or WAV) which can do the job without any loss of sound quality due to decompressing and recoding.
Any recommendations?
Thanks!

geier22

• Galactic Citizen
Re: FLAC File Splitter/Cutter
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 09:00:15 am »

Debian Testing x64 (multiarch) Xfce
TEAC UD-H01 - Yamaha A-S1000 /
Midrange- Studiomonitore by FÖÖN
AsRock Z390 Extreme4- Intel Core i9 9900/ 32 GB Ram

Humbledore

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 09:40:18 am »

geier22, thanks!
I tried Medieval CUE Splitter but I also found mp3splt-gtk which does the job I need in an easy and straightforward manner.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 08:12:38 am »

My recommendation is to use the media software right in front of you. There's no need to go looking for something else.

If you have a .cue file and a single FLAC or WAV encompassing an album, all you have to do is play the .cue file using MC.

Stop playback and navigate to "Playing Now".

Then, select all the individual tracks and use Convert Format to break the single FLAC/WAV into inidividual tracks of your chosen format. That's how I'd do a split.

If you want to use stand alone software, that's your choice. My preference is to use MC. In for a penny, in for a pound is my thinking. If you have faith in MC's playback integrity then it makes sense to me to put faith in its conversion integrity.

If someone thinks I've got this wrong, I'd be glad to read about it but it would need to stand up to scrutiny.

All the best..   ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Humbledore

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:23:48 am »

Thanks astromo, but the files I need to split have no cues. So I explicitly need to mark the break/cue points in order to cut/split the files at the correct positions. And what I understand that is not possible in MC. 

geier22

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 10:32:58 am »

This only works in MC, when I convert to another format. If I have a single Flac-File and a Cue-File and I only want to split it in single Flac-Files, I have to convert first to WAV-Files. and then back in FLAC-Files.
Debian Testing x64 (multiarch) Xfce
TEAC UD-H01 - Yamaha A-S1000 /
Midrange- Studiomonitore by FÖÖN
AsRock Z390 Extreme4- Intel Core i9 9900/ 32 GB Ram

Humbledore

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 10:56:12 am »

Please be clear; when you don't have any cue file MC cannot help you, correct?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 02:02:39 pm »

Please be clear; when you don't have any cue file MC cannot help you, correct?

In that case, if you wanted to use MC you'd need to build your own cue file. Unless there's some other way that I'm not aware of?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Humbledore

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 02:24:59 pm »

Then I know I can't use MC when cue files are missing.
Thanks!  :)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 02:34:10 pm »

Thanks astromo, but the files I need to split have no cues. So I explicitly need to mark the break/cue points in order to cut/split the files at the correct positions. And what I understand that is not possible in MC. 
You can use Particles and create a Particle for break/cue points for each song. In the Particle you provide the playback range. You can then play individual Particles or use Convert Format to convert the Particles to individual files. Since a Particle is just a virtual file, you are really playing the original file with the cue points you desire.

See Particles in the wiki for more information.

Humbledore

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 04:44:56 pm »

You can use Particles and create a Particle for break/cue points for each song. In the Particle you provide the playback range. You can then play individual Particles or use Convert Format to convert the Particles to individual files. Since a Particle is just a virtual file, you are really playing the original file with the cue points you desire.

Thanks, mojave! I take a look at Particles later when I am ready for the next split...

mschneid

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 04:50:52 pm »

alternatively... use Audiocity on the large wav or flac file  and have it find the silence between tracks and then cut the track out into a separate files.

Humbledore

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 05:02:12 pm »

alternatively... use Audiocity on the large wav or flac file  and have it find the silence between tracks and then cut the track out into a separate files.

Thanks mschneid, but my project right now is to split one file DJ mix sessions where only the ear (or occasionally a waveform) can find/decide the cue point. It worked pretty good with the mp3splt-gtk software, and I believe Audacity can achieve that as well.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 06:34:46 pm »

In that case, if you wanted to use MC you'd need to build your own cue file. Unless there's some other way that I'm not aware of?

See Particles in the wiki for more information.

Noted and thanks for the tip.

fabulario

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 07:17:41 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up