INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to figure the correct number of music files  (Read 1355 times)

stevecramer22

• Recent member
Trying to figure the correct number of music files
« on: June 09, 2013, 05:02:39 pm »

I've noted in the past that after importing ‘Library now has 283343 files. Search and update took 1:36.’

I go to check the numbers:

On the opening page (left-side Audio>Panes) on bottom center of page the total is stated as 275,621 (1.2tb-1.94 years)

If I go to opening page left-side Audio>Files and add together the 7 different audio types I use, it totals 275,621.

That is a diff of 7728 music files.  Can these two figures be compatible and/or correct?

Steve/Marly

PS: I have 460 video files but their file types (Flv, or Mp4) weren't listed as totals to the music files and adding just 460 files wouldn't close the gap sufficiently in any case.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Trying to figure the correct number of music files
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 03:14:16 am »

I guess you are not taking into account the data files like the video sidecar xml files.

Ross

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 10:23:24 am »

I don't think those are included. Certainly, they don't get imported by auto import.

My first thought was stacked files. Do you use that feature? Bear in mind that hand held conversions make use of stacking by default.

If you use it, and you select all files, right click, "Stacks > Expand Stacks" does that bring your 7k files out of hiding?
If it does, remember to collapse the stacks again.

-marko

stevecramer22

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 06:29:27 am »

I don't think those are included. Certainly, they don't get imported by auto import.

My first thought was stacked files. Do you use that feature? Bear in mind that hand held conversions make use of stacking by default.

If you use it, and you select all files, right click, "Stacks > Expand Stacks" does that bring your 7k files out of hiding?
If it does, remember to collapse the stacks again.

-marko
Stacked Files? No...I don't use (I don't think so). I'll have to search for the meaning or the usage to that term. I'm using the latest version 18 build but not finding the term 'Stacked files'. My ignorance, sorry.

Quote: I guess you are not taking into account the data files like the video sidecar xml files.

There are 267 xml files. Why would media center include anything like xml?

Quoting a source: Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a markup language that defines a set of rules for encoding documents in a format that is both human-readable and machine-readable. The design goals of XML emphasize simplicity, generality, and usability over the Internet.

Sorry, but why would I assume Media Center would count xml as usable media files?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 11:07:39 am »

The xml sidecar files are not imported by MC.
"Stacks" are used by MC automatically to create, for example, lossy versions of lossless files for use on hand held devices. The lossy file is 'stacked' with the lossless file, to all intents and purposes, hiding it from display in the main library. There are other uses, but that's a potted explanation that may help.

Getting back to your problem, I'm wondering if some files are being filtered out of your view.
Try this:
Press F9 to create a new smart list.

The list will be created and the search editor will launch with a single rule set, "Media Type" is "Audio". To the right of that rule, you will see a little "x" button. Click on that button. Press OK.

The list of files you now have includes everything imported in your library. Are the figures more representative now?

-marko
Pages: [1]   Go Up