INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback problems with VOB files on 3TB external HD  (Read 1352 times)

thomaske

• Recent member
Playback problems with VOB files on 3TB external HD
« on: June 17, 2013, 01:56:41 pm »

I recently posted about having issues with moving DVD rips to an external HD and having them hang when they play.  Since then, I realize that the issue I'm having has been had by many many people ever since >2TB HDs have come into existence.  I've found countless threads on this topic, including some in Interact - they all describe the exact issue I'm having, and none of them ever come to a conclusion as to how to fix the issue.

Here is the summary of the issue:

I run MC18 on a Win7 Home Edition 64-bit computer.
I have several dozen DVDs that I have ripped to the internal HD (VOB files)   They play back great
I use MC to move a DVD "file" to an external HD that is 3TB - the movie now will not play back.
I use MC to move the same DVD "file" back to the internal HD, even to a new location - it plays back great
All other interaction, MC-related or not, with the 3TB external HD works fine.   

I have searched for and found dozens of threads recounting this exact set of behavior, and across many drive manufacturers.  It appears to have something to do with the new drives not being able to be formatted with sector sizes of 512 (they have a minimum of 4096).  There is a lot of discussion around XP not supporting large drives, and other compatibility issues, but for 64-bit Win7, the only thing I can find that appears to apply is the sector size issue.  And, again, everything works with the drive except playing VOB files back from ripped DVDs.

So many work-arounds have been suggested – I’ve tried all of them, and none of them solved it for me.  Mount the drive to an unused folder on the internal drive.  Format as MBR and break it into smaller partitions.  Format as GBR.   All of them behave identically – everything works except VOB playback.
I find it hard to believe that with the hard core users of MC, that there aren’t people using >2TB USB drives to store and play VOB files and, that once they discovered this problem, that MC hasn’t been made to overcome it.  But I can’t find the answer here in these threads either.

Out of desperation, I downloaded PowerDVD and tried the same thing.  It successfully plays back the VOB files from the 3TB external HD!   Everything else about it is inferior to MC18, but it solves that one problem.  It also demonstrates that system-level settings (ie, BIOS and OS) are set fine to be able to achieve this outcome.

So, there must be something I either have to change in MC18, or a bug, or something that is keeping this from working.  It doesn’t work in WMC either, but it does in PowerDVD.

Please help save me from PowerDVD 

struct

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Re: Playback problems with VOB files on 3TB external HD
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 02:57:09 pm »

Sorry to ask the obvious... did you wait for the move to complete? MC returns focus long before it has moved. Did you try double clicking from windows Explorer? I guess you could always revert to mkv?

thomaske

• Recent member
Re: Playback problems with VOB files on 3TB external HD
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 03:11:57 pm »

Yes, I waited - after the move is complete, MC asks if you want to delete the (now) empty folder.  I say "Yes" and then the operation is done.

I've also done this several dozen times, trying different things out, and have validated the before and after to make sure the # of files matches. 

I guess one workaround is just to use the external drive as an archive, and since MC makes moving the files so easy, move the files when I want to watch a specific movie.  Not ideal, but probably not a deal breaker.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 03:49:57 pm »

Have you tried just copying a folder with windows explorer and not using MC to move it?

Alternatively place a new movie on the external drive and import it into MC. Will it then play?

thomaske

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 03:53:00 pm »

Yep, I've tried both of those - same result.  I've done the reverse of both of those too - external to internal - and the movie plays normal again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up