INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Video Files - playback fails  (Read 2173 times)

thomaske

• Recent member
Moving Video Files - playback fails
« on: June 09, 2013, 09:05:22 am »

I'm on the latest build of version 18.  I am attempting to move DVD video files that I ripped to the main drive in the computer, to an external drive.  I have used Library Tools -> Move/Copy.  Everything appears to work fine - all the files move to the correct new location, etc.  But when I attempt playback, it opens up the first little file and then just hangs.  I have tried re-importing the files from the new location, but get the same result.

Any idea if there is something else I have to do to reset the ability to play back the files from the new location?  It's like MC has lost the ability to navigate from one file to the next and just gets "lost" at the end of playing one file.

Any help appreciated.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Moving Video Files - playback fails
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 10:27:17 am »

Be sure that the ENTIRE DVD folder's contents moved from one location to the new one, including all IFO and VOB files.
Can you be more specific about how you moved them exactly?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 10:34:24 am »

In Standard View Video>Files highlight the file, right-click and go to Library Tools>Rename, Move & Copy files. The "Rename" function moves your file to the new directory/location you select. Click on Directory and enter the Base Path of where you want the file to be moved to.  The preview window shows the original name/location and the new name/location (of course, if you are just moving files the name won't change). Click Okay and it moves the file and "renames the path" to the file.
Is this part working properly - or is this where your having the problem?

thomaske

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 10:53:22 am »

Having experimented more this morning.....

I highlight the video file I want to move.  I use Library Tools -> Move, Copy, Rename.  I choose rename.

Assuming the video name is TestVideo and the path is C:\Videos\TestVideo,

Renaming  C:\Videos to C:\Movies leaves me with C:\Movies\TestVideo and it plays just fine

Renaming C:\Videos to E:\Movies leaves me with E:\Movies\TestVideo, which then starts but freezes after one or more of the splash screens.

As near as I can tell, the contents are identical.  The only difference in the process is that the first one just has to rewrite a directory structure, while the second one physically has to copy files.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 11:33:44 am »

In the case where it works you are staying on the same hard drive (C:), correct?
In the case where it doesn't work, are you moving the file to a different drive (E:) or using a different directory on the same drive?
If it is a different drive it may be the network speed that is causing the problem.

thomaske

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 01:24:56 pm »

It is a different drive, but it's a USB3 drive, so speed should not be a problem.

Interestingly though, after moving it from C: to E: in my above example, I moved it from E: to a different path on C: and it worked again.  It's like some directory / index lookup isn't working from a different drive.

I'm going to try ripping one directly to E: and see if that works on playback

thomaske

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 05:30:03 pm »

Problem solved - I think it's the WD external HD.  Even ripping a DVD directly to it won't play back.  Moving that newly ripped DVD to the local drive, everything is fine.  So I swapped in a Seagate HD and did the same operations - everything worked perfectly.

thomaske

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 01:03:50 am »

Actually, not solved.  I bought a new Seagate 4TB drive and am having identical problems.  Lots of searching and I see lots of people having issues playing back VOB files off of >2TB drives, so it's some sort of Windows issue, not a specific player issue.

I'm finding lots of people reporting identical symptoms (even the ability to move it back to a smaller drive and have it work again) right around Fall of 2011, but I haven't found any conclusive solution.

Anybody having luck with using 3 and 4 TB external drives for DVD VOB playback?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 07:35:40 am »

I don't know if this helps or not - but it is interesting.

From PCWorld Magazine 
http://www.pcworld.com/article/235088/everything_you_need_to_know_about_3TB_hard_drives.html

Microsoft chose not to implement support for anything larger than 2.2TB drives in any of its 32-bit consumer operating systems--including Windows 7. Microsoft even omitted support from 64-bit XP. If you were looking for a reason to move to 64-bit Windows 7, here it is--courtesy of a not so subtle (or particularly gracious) invitation from the industry giant.

Fortunately, you can find drivers and utilities that allow you to use a 3TB drive as auxiliary storage with any flavor of Windows, XP or later. I say "auxiliary" because you can boot Windows from a 3TB drive only if it's 64-bit Vista or 64-bit Windows 7--and then, only if you have a PC with an EFI/UEFI BIOS. EFI is Intel's Extensible Firmware Interface, and UEFI (United EFI) is the nonproprietary version based on the 1.10 EFI spec. EFI assumes the hardware and operating system interfacing chores from the BIOS after startup. The technology has been around since--you guessed it--the turn of the millennium, when the 137GB problems surfaced. Unfortunately, with no mainstream OS support from Microsoft (which is actually on the UEFI board of directors), most motherboard vendors saw no reason to implement UEFI before now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up