INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rio 500 not working on Win XP  (Read 710 times)

pbnyc

Rio 500 not working on Win XP
« on: March 24, 2002, 11:16:26 am »

I followed the instructions to uninstall the the Rioport Audiomanager software, cleaned out the registry, etc.  I installed the MJ Rio 500 plugin (driver?).  When I connected my Rio, I pointed it to the windows\system32 directory as indicated.  It found two drivers: the normal "Rioport.com Rio 500" and one labeled "OEM7."  Neither driver is/was signed.  What is the actual NAME of the Rio driver MJ is supposed to install in windows\system32?  I clicked through the XP error.  Upon installed either of these drivers I was told to "point to" in your instructions, I still came up empty with MJ and my 500.  Everything seems to work perfectly until I disconnect my Rio and realize NOTHING has been uploaded even though I "watched" MJ upload the files.  It deleted all my files just fine apparently.  

When I use Riositude to view what's on my Rio, it shows all the MJ uploaded files as "ghosts" only, i.e. the names of the tracks are there, but they register a play time of 0:00.

I run Win XP on an HP Pentium 3/535 with 256 MB RAM and 500G across an 8 drive RAID array.  I had trouble with MJ 6 and Win 98 as well way back when, but a clean driver install did solve the problem.  Of course, there were no signed driver issues back then.

Any thoughts?

(FYI: I am a paid licensee of v8 and a long-time MJ user, but I am very dissatisfied with these new Rio incompatibilities and have essentially been forced to stop using MJ ever since I bought version 8 since listen to 90% of my music on the Rio.)

Steve

RE:Rio 500 not working on Win XP
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2002, 06:01:18 am »

pbnyc,

When you say you followed the instructions to uninstall the Rioport Audiomanager software, were you following the instructions at..
http://www.riohome.com/support/rio/default.asp?menu=support&submenu=Legacy_Rio&item=faqs&product=Rio_500_PC#20399

If not, please follow those instructions. After everything is removed, reinstall the Rio 500 Plugin and reconnect your Rio.

I just retested my Rio on a clean XP machine and here is what I found. I first connected my Rio and used the default drivers that come with XP to try to imitate what you did. I had exactly the same problem you describe. I then followed the instructions I refer to above and everthing now works great. In answer to your question of "What is the actual Name of the Rio driver..." it is the set of files that you will be removing when you follow the instructions at Rio's website referred to above.

If you are still stuck, feel free to email me directly at steve@jriver.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up