INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I Revert to Version 7.2 after participating in Version 8 Beta's?  (Read 1477 times)

Rusty

Greetings - I have been involved in the Version 8 Beta bug reporting program & both I & my computer are the worse for wear for it.  So now just want to get back to a Version that worked for me.  

I never expected a software program (like this=MJ) to have such a negative effect on my computer.  It has cost me a lot of time & money, so now all I want to do is re-instal Version 7.2!!!

I have tried to do this before & with no luck & I see that others have had the same problem ... So can someone in the know please answer this question for once & for all ... Can I revert back to Version 7.2?

Regards Rusty - athertonbackpack@hotmail.com

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:Can I Revert to Version 7.2 after participating in Version 8 Beta's?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2002, 01:08:31 am »

I have had only small problems

Reboot
Completly uninstall MJ, make Sure The c:\program Files\J River Folder Has Been Deleted
Reboot
Reinstall 7.2.280

Otis Redding & Carla Thomas - Knock On Wood.mp3
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2002, 02:46:21 am »

So, Rusty. Are you saying we're dishonest?

You may have other problems with the machine. It is always possible.

If you have an 8.0 library and you go back to 7.2, clear the library and reimport.  They aren't compatible.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Rusty

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2002, 03:17:03 am »

To JIMH - Sorry I don't understand your comment about you being dishonest or where that thought, or perceived implication ever came from.  MJ is everything I want, but I'm tired of trying to do battle with it.  I just want it to work properly without screwing up my computer ... no other piece of software has ever effected my computer like MJ has.  I've had countless ERROR MESSAGES, ALL MY RESOURCES USED UP (even after I added another 128Mb of memory), COMPLETE GREY SCREENS, COMPLETE BLACK SCREENS, COMPLETE LOCK UPS etc.  There may well be other problems with my machine, although after recently clean installing Windows 98SE, I would've assumed (probably wrongly) that I wouldn't have started out with any of my old problems, or any new ones.

I have previously been thru all this before (twice) & hence my original question ... I uninstalled Version 8 & deleted the folder etc, then downloaded Version 7.2.280, just before the download process completed I get a message indicating that I have to reboot the computer to complete the download (this I thought was strange). Upon rebooting, I notice a mini window (download completion I assume) pop up for a brief second, but nothing happened within it. Then when I try to open MJ, all I get is an intro screen & that's where it stopped, I couldn't open it further?????????

Regards Rusty.

_______________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
Media Jukebox  8.0.234

CPU: Intel Pentium III 498 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 101 MB
Resource Info: System - 37 %, GDI - 74 %, User - 37 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4704.1100
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995
Aspi32.sys: N/A

zevele1

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2002, 03:21:20 am »

to JimH
Rusty is just uppset.I had the same problems than him.I did 2 or 3 reformats cause of it.I had so much strange and wierd problems with 8,that i had to give my computer to the shop.Like this they saw that i was not under some substances...............
The last built runs nice,but i cannot get the mp3 encoder to work
RUSTY
If you do not have any jukebox on your computer,install one.Do not even try to run it
Reboot in safe mode
go to ad'remove and unistall MJ,include library
make a search MediaJukebox,delete all you find
make a seach jrivers,delete all you find
go to Windows temporary folder and delete all you find MediaJukebox or jrivers
go to internet explorer and delete all temporay
reboot
download again the exe 7.2
install,DO NOT RUN IT
reboot
More than it i cannot help

Before you install again MJ,have a look at Windows Updates-there is a Direct x update.I do not know if you need Windowspalyer.JimH will tell you.Check your cd writter for upgrades and ,if you have this option,make a test
Keep in mind that if you want RealPlayer,Windowsplayer,FreeAmp on your computer it is best to install MediaJukebox the last

Rusty

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2002, 03:41:51 am »

To ZEVELE10 - Thanks for your comments & I will try doing exactly as you have suggested (only not tonight - I've had it, & I'm already way over my download limit for this month as well).

Thanks also to JIMH & KINGSPARTA for their helpful comments too ... Please don't take any offence at anything I have said as it wasn't meant to be offensive or critical.  I can't imagine what you guys go thru when you're trying to put all this together & get it to work under all these different operating systems etc. As I have said, I really like MJ & all it's possibilities, it's far better than anything else I've seen to date.  I just need to get it to work properly on my computer.

Regards - Rusty.

Brak

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2002, 08:53:37 am »

I had similar problems with reverting to 7.2.  So, after uninstalling and deleting the MJ folder, I also deleted all keys with "media jukebox" and "JRiver" (and variations thereon) from the registry.  7.2 installed with no problems after that and still runs great.  A registry cleanup file might be a useful tool for those less inclined to get under Windows' hood, since the uninstallation routine doesn't seem to be very complete (most likely because I had installed several betas over each other).

zevele1

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2002, 09:05:43 am »

Yes.
The problem is that if you uninstall without rebot first,there is a dll remaining and this is the cause of the problems.Temporary folder as well

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2002, 09:07:51 am »

Rusty,

Windows 98 and 98SE are notorious for using up resources and unexplained crashes. I know because that's what I have. I added memory, too. The thing that actually helped was Rambooster. It automatically frees up memory as it depletes. I agree that the Uninstall should actually do that but it can't do it completely because you could uninstall Version 8 every month and never pay for it. I also understand your frustration. Good luck.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele1

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2002, 09:33:06 am »

no.As all the softwares,you have to reformat if you want to use again a 30 days free trial.Tell me how many people know how to reformat and clean install?According to what i see aroud me not that much
The problem with uninstall is just UNACCEPTABLE.Not the problem,but the fact than since a month there is people stuck,not able to run or 8 or they registered version of 7,2 and we do not get any instructions from JRiver staff.
You know i am a great MJ fan,but this is not fair and not ok

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2002, 09:33:32 am »

I would also try the Windows Update in IE and install anything they recommend.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Sudadon

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2002, 11:53:44 pm »

The build 8 versions I had been using also had the problem of crashing frequently.  So I made the mistake of trying to to go back to the previous version and got into this smae rut you guys are in.  Tried everything recommended here (with the exception of clean install which I cannot afford to do).  Even went into the registry and deleted everything related to MJ but to no avail.  I still cannot install or uninstall MJ from my computer--which means that I am unable to use the program at all.  I REALLY THINK SOMEONE FROM J RIVER SHOULD GIVE US THEIR INSIGHT ON HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up