INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Different CDs with same album names all lumped into one album  (Read 899 times)

saiyan

• Recent member

While browsing albums listing in MC18, I noticed that CDs with same album name tag from the same artist but stored in different file directories all lumped into a single album in MC18.
These CDs usually consist of an older release, a re-mastered release with bonus tracks, a foreign release with slightly different track listing or a maxi-single CD whose name happened to be the same as the main album's name.

Suppose I have the serveral CDs called "John's Debut Album" from an artist named "John Smith" as shown below:

"John's Debut Album"  (1980 release) (catalog number 1001)
"John's Debut Album"  (2012 re-mastered release with bonus tracks) (catalog number 9001)
"John's Debut Album"  (Japanese release with different tracks sequence and bonus tracks) (catalog number JPN-111)

I have stored music files from these CDs in the following folders:

D:\My Music\John Smith\John's Debut Album [1001]
D:\My Music\John Smith\John's Debut Album [9001]
D:\My Music\John Smith\John's Debut Album [JPN-111]

As you can see, album names with catalog number appended are used as the folder name for storing music files.
However, the album name tag in these music files are all assigned "John's Debut Album" without catalog number or any other strings attached.

Somehow MC18 decides these music files all belong to the same album.
I can see why this behavior is useful if a CD album contains multiple CDs and their music files stored in sub-folders such as "CD 1", "CD 2", and so on.

If I don't change the album name of these files, is there any way I can make MC18 list them as separate albums?
Or must I assign slightly different album names to those files?

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks.

(BTW.  I'm not concerned about duplicate tracks from these albums).

saiyan

• Recent member
Re: Different CDs with same album names all lumped into one album
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 01:17:14 am »

Okay..  After some thought, I think I will just album name to reflect different releases such as Reissue, Australian release, Japan Maxi-Single and so on...

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Different CDs with same album names all lumped into one album
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 02:14:19 am »

Some people change the album name to include the issue version; others populate another field with the distinguishing identifier and trivially modify the view to show the combination of the album name and the field.

Keep in mind the general idea that its always easy to combine components, but often difficult or impossible to split arbitrary data into components.  Creating views that show combined data are easy to create.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up