INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All of the sudden: MC18 freezes when connecting iPod Classic (buil1 194 & 201)  (Read 1522 times)

Ferdi

• World Citizen

Hi,

All of the sudden, out of the blue: MC18 freezes as soon as I connect my iPod Classic!
I *believe* it happened after I cleaned up cover art in Media Monkey (sorry for mentioning that here!), that's the only event I can relate it to.
However, since MC18 works fine without iPod connected, and since I even completely reset the iPod to see if that helps anything, i doubt that it would be the cause.
Any idea? i'd hate to un and reinstall MC18 and loose all my customization (view, ...).

thanks!

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: All of the sudden: MC18 freezes when connecting iPod Classic 160g
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 10:34:14 pm »

Try the latest build.  Build 195 fixed the following problem:
Fixed: If an iPod failed to initialize, it could cause a hang when trying to display the error message.

I also have better luck getting my iPod Classic properly recognized if I close MC, then plug in the iPod, then launch MC.  If I plug the iPod in while MC is running I can get an error about no database found on the iPod and needing to initialize the iPod.  If I plug the iPod in while MC is closed then I seem to avoid that error.

Ferdi

• World Citizen
Re: All of the sudden: MC18 freezes when connecting iPod Classic 160g
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 12:42:03 pm »

Thanks for reply, Frobozz.
I had 194 installed, and the update check actually moved me build 201 (i think that's still in beta).
That didn't help, and i doubt that downgrading would (assuming it's same code line), if that is even possible.
Also, first connecting iPod than starting MC ain't helping either.

I am very sad - from being without music  :'(

Frobozz

There have been some recent threads about similar problems in the iPod section of the forum.  Build 195 fixed those problems.  Your problem may be something else.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81075.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80830.0

I have an 80GB Classic.  Using Windows 8 x64.  I don't have iTunes installed and I don't believe I've ever had iTunes installed on this computer.  If I close MC, plug the iPod in, the iPod will show up in Windows File Explorer as a removable device and I can browse the folders on the iPod.  Launch MC, the iPod is recognized in MC and I can sync.

Ferdi

• World Citizen

Thanks again, Frobozz.
I tried the 'run as admin', didn't help, no matter if iPod plugged in or not when starting.
Was going through the other threads that you posted then, and eventually decided to first try uninstalling iTunes: which did the trick.

happy camper again. Thanks for your support!

Frobozz

Thanks again, Frobozz.
I tried the 'run as admin', didn't help, no matter if iPod plugged in or not when starting.
Was going through the other threads that you posted then, and eventually decided to first try uninstalling iTunes: which did the trick.

happy camper again. Thanks for your support!

Just having iTunes installed made MC hang when trying to connect to an iPod Classic?  Why am I not surprised?, but dang.  Apple does not play nice.  Is this with the latest iTunes 11.0.4?

I really like my iPod Classic.  80GB of space.  Gapless playback.  Adequately good sound quality when connected to a portable amp through the dock connector.  Good interface.  Good music.  And gapless.  There aren't many (are there any?) alternatives that can match that.  Especially with the gapless playback.  But dang!  It's things like this that further confirm why I'm never going to get an iOS device.  Not even for JRemote.  iTunes is invasive and does not play nice.  I'm never going to use a device that requires iTunes to be installed.  The iPod Classic is as far as I'm ever going in the iDevice line.

As for support.  I'm just a happy end user of MC.  I consider MC to be my favorite most awesome software ever.  But I'm just an end user.  Not official support.
Pages: [1]   Go Up