INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: running MC18 on two machines  (Read 995 times)

darkhyphenvoid

• Recent member
running MC18 on two machines
« on: June 22, 2013, 01:01:12 pm »

i've just built a new pc for our loft room. the main pc is in the office with 3tb of music and video files which MC18 happily sends downstairs to the blu ray player and to my tablet via dlna. rather than put any new files on the new pc i figured it could just access the other pc via the network - which it does. great. when i installed MC18 i hadn't managed to get the network working so it couldn't find any files. when i did get the network up and running i had to point MC18 in the direction of the network folder and it started adding all the files. all working fine, however it's not quite set up the same as the one on the main pc as over the years i have adjusted the settings to my liking. but it works well enough. however, and this is a little odd, when i flipped over to the other profile and turned on MC18 for the first time it gave me a 'please wait while i connect to the server' message and then presented me with an exact replica of my MC18 set-up from downstairs. brilliant. but over on my profile i've got the not quite the same same set-up. how can i change it so both the profiles work in the same way? i assumed it was because when i opened MC18 up for the first time on the other profile the network was now up and running so it just did it automatically. i tried removing MC18 and installing it again but it just came back exactly the same again with the slightly different versions on each profile.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: running MC18 on two machines
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 03:39:25 pm »

By "profile" do you mean the way you have configured MC?  And you want the configuration on the new PC to be the same as the existing one, in terms of views and audio output modes?

If so, you can perform a backup of the library on the first PC, copy the zip file over to the new PC and restore the library. I think it asks you whether you want to restore settings as well as the library, so obviously reply Yes to that. You will also be left with a local copy of the entire library!  But if you don't want that local copy and you will be connecting remotely all the time, just Clear the library afterwards.

darkhyphenvoid

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 03:50:30 am »

ok, i'll start again.

main pc in office, running MC18. all wonderful.

new pc in loft, set up with two windows 7 user profiles - i can log in to windows as me with all my settings just how i like it, or i can log in as my missus with all desktop full of foxes and flowers.

if i log in to my windows profile and open up MC18 it presents me with a brand new clean MC18 with no library files (as there is no media on the pc). the pc is networked to the other pc downstairs so i can tell MC18 to look in the network folder and it will add all the media from the other pc. however, it is still a separate entity, with all the default MC18 settings. which is fine however...

...if i log in to windows using the wife's profile and open up MC18 i get a message flash up saying something along the likes of 'please wait while i connect to the server', then i am presented with an exact copy of my MC18 set-up from downstairs. it's basically just letting me access my downstairs MC18 by remote, rather than being a separate entity just sharing the same library.

this is awesome. why doesn't it do this when i access it through my windows log in? can i make it do so? i have tried completely uninstalling MC18 and installing it again but it just does exactly the same thing - new install on my windows profile, access by remote on the other.

and help/suggestions appreciated. many thanks.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 03:59:04 am »

Ah, this is just setting up MC on the new PC to act as a client to the server installation of MC on the first PC. All you need to do is connect to the remote library.

On the new PC, enable Media Network then right-click in the "Playing from..." entry under Playing Now and select "Add Library". There it will ask you for either the Access Key from the server or the IP address of the server.  Then, the server should appear as an entry in "Playing from".  Simply select that entry and Load Library to connect to it.

darkhyphenvoid

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 05:03:19 am »

ah, that's the fella! awesome. many thanks. still not sure why it just did that automatically in one windows profile but not in the other, but no bother, all sorted now. thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up