INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filtering & Customizing Views  (Read 1314 times)

mkelly

• Recent member
Filtering & Customizing Views
« on: June 30, 2013, 12:17:21 pm »

I am trying to create a view that has my "Composers" organized, but when I do that by creater a "Composer folder" I get a folder with every possible composer---pop...jazz..vocal..., when I only want "classical" composers....how can I filter on "*classical*" only.
I did a work-around (but still not 'happy') I made a "genre" folder with a sub-folder "composer" and then a sub-sub-folder "albums"...but alas the list is till too long!. I tried to write an expression...but not being schooled in the database language and query stuff I was mystified...Is there a road map somewhere?
THANKS

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Filtering & Customizing Views
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 01:09:37 pm »

To your view, add a Rule that selects Genre is Classical.  Do this under Customize view... > Included Files > Set rules for file display.

No need to muck with Windows' filesystem folders (let's reserve the word "folder" for those thingies in Windows where you place files and other "folders").

Here's how views are built:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68960.0
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 02:24:43 pm »

The problem with using Genre is that is a tag. It will be different each time e.g. classical, baroque, modern, cello concerto, etc.

What I do is using folders.
I have a root Sound and a sub folder for Pop/Jazz/Blues/Classical
I store all my classical in \sound\classical\

To list all composers the rule for file display is simply
File name (path) starts with \\NAS\Sound\Classical

This is how I use JRiver for classical: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/JRiver/Classical.htm

csimon

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:06:01 am »

[EDIT - post removed, it was irrelevant, sorry!]

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:38:56 am »

Customize view... > Included Files > Set rules for file display.

No need to muck with Windows' filesystem folders (let's reserve the word "folder" for those thingies in Windows where you place files and other "folders").
yes, thats what you want. You can also sing in gregorian chant "a-all-wa-ays a-a-gree; wi-th,wi-th Mis-ter C ....  ;D

Rules for file display can be used everywhere !

The problem with using Genre is that is a tag. It will be different each time e.g. classical, baroque, modern, cello concerto, etc.

That is not a problem, thats a good thing ..... if you have a coherent tagging workflow. Why be dependant on manual selection of physical files when you have jriver's powerful database. Why organize a hard drive specifically to play music when you have jrmc  How could this work through theater views? Using remotes like Gizmo, or JRemote? BTW.

I also separate classical on my data drives, as well as various artists, from single artists, but its more for my ripping "masks" than anything else.

You don't really need to add additional tag fields, either ... What I do as an example ... Grouping=Classical, Genre=Romantic, Style=Sonata.
or maybe genre=classical, style=Baroque whatever detail/tag name you want/prefer as long as it is consistant .. add one for Opus or Köchel Number, whatever. If you want multiple genres, styles, composers et al.,  linked to the same work  and you want to search them individually you can create a secondary "list" field (eg. Genre and Genres) if you want to mess around more create a field called Genres save it ... then reopen it and change the field to a "Calculated Data" field and paste this in
Code: [Select]
[genre]&datatype=[list]. This will auto-populate and either you can tag by clicking in the list or you can have separte search out put instead of seeing the multiple entry in the one field separated by semi-colons -- you could even use one field (tag) to put both style and period in one (it would be pretty ugly though ;) )

Suggestion,  regardless which choice makes you the most comfortable, backup your library frequently when you experiment at first -- restoring it resets your views and settings back; And, my opinion of course, all important tags should be written to the file by clicking "Save in File Tag if possible". That way if you screw up your library you can always rebuild the tags from the file.

Just my two cents  :D

Pages: [1]   Go Up