INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Leveling  (Read 3472 times)

chstuart

• Recent member
Volume Leveling
« on: February 23, 2013, 10:08:58 am »

I tried to search the forum for info on this but could not find a thread that was relevant. I am using volume leveling on MC18 but I am still getting wide variances in volume level from song to song. Are there any tweeks that I can do to make it more effective? Thanks!

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Volume Leveling
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:17:20 am »

You may find the Wiki Section on Replay Gain useful.  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Replay_Gain

My hunch is that you turned on Volume Levelling, but did not do the first part which is to 'Analyze' files.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Rod

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:25:51 am »

You have to use "Analyze Audio" option for all your music files.Replay Gain field needs to be tagged.(Analyze Audio)
Then it works flawlessly.Using it myself.

You can set autoimport->analyze audio,then MC 18 will analyze audio files on import in the background.
Lian Li PC-C60B HTPC Case
(Soundgraph Imon Display + Remote Control)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 + 8GB DDR3
AMD Athlon II X4 605e 4x2,3Ghz (45W TDP)
Onkyo TX-NR906
Teufel System 5 THX Select 2

chstuart

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:59:58 am »

Wow!  Thanks for the quick replies. I did not know MC had that feature. currently analyzing 72,000 songs...  Thank you!

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 11:02:55 am »

Wow!  Thanks for the quick replies. I did not know MC had that feature. currently analyzing 72,000 songs...  Thank you!

In case you have difficulties you may want to do the Analysis is chunks of maybe 5,000 at a time. When you are all done do it on all 72,000 just in case you missed any.

Rod

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 11:08:07 am »

In case you have difficulties you may want to do the Analysis is chunks of maybe 5,000 at a time. When you are all done do it on all 72,000 just in case you missed any.

Rod

Or you could just make a missing replay gain smartlist.

Hipper

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 02:35:16 pm »

I'm relatively new to JRiver but am using Volume Levelling.

My experience so far is that it's generally consistent but throws up the odd misjudged measure. A particularly quiet song amongst a bunch of average level songs being analysed will play too loud when using the Mode of 'Track Based' but will be nearer average levels in 'Album Based' (found on Tools/Options/Audio/Audio Settins/DSP).

As I don't want to analyse my songs all in one go I now feel it best to analyse at the same time a bunch of tracks that I intend to put on one playlist, normally selections from around ten albums.

I use the Smartlist suggestion on the Wiki pages to analyse after importing some new tracks - an excellent idea.

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 04:39:27 pm »

Hmmmm... I read about volume leveling and tried it on my library which resides on a network drive. MC18 came back and said It could not analyze files on that drive. Does this mean I have to rename all my files to my PC, analyze files and then move them back to the network drive?

altsouza

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 04:50:20 pm »

Does Volume Leveling modify permanently the tracks?
Nuc > Cambridge Audio Cxn Streamer > Cambridge 851e Pré
Parasound A21 Amp > Nordost Cable > Kef R300 Speaker
Prog Rock Fan (Yes.....)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 11:44:23 am »

Does Volume Leveling modify permanently the tracks?

The audio analyzer writes a tag into the track, but does not otherwise modify the track.  There's no change to the sound data in the file.

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 08:44:47 pm »

My experience so far is that it's generally consistent but throws up the odd misjudged measure. A particularly quiet song amongst a bunch of average level songs being analysed will play too loud when using the Mode of 'Track Based' but will be nearer average levels in 'Album Based' (found on Tools/Options/Audio/Audio Settins/DSP).

That makes total sense... with Track Based Replay Gain will try to match that track with all other tracks you have.... with Album Based Replay Gain, it looks at all tracks in the album to make the adjustment, the same adjustment for all tracks in the album.  Adding Album Gain was a major enhancement to MediaCenter years ago when it was added.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 08:57:20 am »

How does volume levelling/replay gain work for a playlist consisting of tracks from multiple albums (e.g. when using Play Doctor)? I get how it will work with the track based option, but how is does it work in album based mode?

pjcentral

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 12:22:47 pm »

The audio analyzer writes a tag into the track, but does not otherwise modify the track.  There's no change to the sound data in the file.

So I guess that's why the volume is different on songs I synced to my handheld. I used Replay Gain: Mode - Track Based, Adjustment - Automatic based on current playlist, 0.0db, Clip Protection. These were the settings before I began to sync a playlist of mp3 file to my Sony Walkman. Here's my results:
I made a playlist of The Rolling Stones 3 CD Hits named "Grrr!"
Since some songs weren't included on that album I mixed into the Grrr! album selected songs from other Stones CD's I already owned.
Anything from Grrr! was at the same volume, which is what I expected.
Anything from other albums was not. For example: Sticky Fingers was less loud, The newest Exiles On Main Street was louder.

Is there any way I can make a playlist of various albums and have the volume leveled while syncing? I don't want the original files effected, if possible, just leveling on the fly, if there is such a thing. I can't seem to figure out what to do. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up