INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying my hand at setting up a Network  (Read 1472 times)

dharmashawn

• Recent member
Trying my hand at setting up a Network
« on: July 01, 2013, 05:34:31 pm »

Hello all. I have a spare pc and was thinking about moving a bunch of HD's (some with data some without) into another room to act as a "server" to my main pc in the living room. From what I have gathered server software is less stress on machines, but things look real confusing. I do have the ability to run both pc's on Windows 7, however I am not sure what, if anything I will gain from this configuration. Any thoughts on this?? I thought it was an easier task to connecting these two.

Thanks Much and
Be Well
Shawn

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Trying my hand at setting up a Network
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 06:43:52 pm »

On our wiki, you could read about Servers, and Media Server especially.

dharmashawn

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 05:33:38 am »

From a similar post: "You can either use the NAS as a file server in which case MC will access the files via a network share, or turn on the DLNA server on the NAS and you can get MC to connect to a remote DLNA server. The difference is that with the former you are using MC's powerful cataloguing facilities and with the latter you are using the cataloguing facilities of the server on the NAS, which will undoubtedly be more limited. But in that case you will be able to serve media from the NAS to a DLNA device without needing the MC PC turned on."

This is absolutely what I want to do. if I set up my other pc with NAS4Free or FreeNAS I will be good to go, yes? Both pc's will be directly wired to the router. The pc I am adding will not be used for anything other than storage, hence my reluctance to just install Windows7 and another MC. Didn't plan on keeping a monitor in there after set-up.

Thanks Much

Shawn

dharmashawn

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 06:49:19 am »

Further reading is unencouraging  :'(

Right now I have several disks and no fail safe solution. I have never had any problems, but I am sure it would only take one. That said I would really just like access to a bunch of separate drives without buying a 4-bay enclosure with poor reviews and USB 2.0. It looks like my only option is the Windows route with MC on both. Research is showing no clear way of setting up a NAS system with separate drives; only turning them into a pool (where one fails and all is lost) THAT IS JUST SILLY!! Sure I am gambling anyway and can lose all my data on any given disk, but for now this is what I got anyway.

Bottom line I guess is expansion. I have 4 x 1TB drivers in a drawer and in my current pc there are 1 x 2TB and 3 x 1TB. Add to that a fully functioning computer in the closet and it makes sense to start using. The closet pc is no real slouch (AMD Phenom x4 9150e), I just upgraded to an i7 machine.
Rant over.

Thoughts? Concerns? Suggestions?

Thanks for listening

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 07:37:20 am »

if I set up my other pc with NAS4Free or FreeNAS I will be good to go, yes?

You can use another PC as a NAS, yes.  And you can use MC with it in either of two cases you mentioned above.  But I suspect you need to post your questions in the PC's and Other Hardware forum (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php#2) as I think you are going into the realms of operating systems and disks and RAID and fault-tolerance and building PCs etc, which is out of the scope of the Nedia Network forum. (I think Media Network is more about using MC to connect with and control other network media devices)

dharmashawn

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 07:54:54 am »

Thanks much. 

Can/do mods move around here?
Pages: [1]   Go Up